Win_RE drive appeared

Gordon Freeman 11:36 11 Jan 14
Answered

Win7 Professional.

Don't know how this has happened, but on my desktop machine in 'My Computer' (where all drives appear), I've now got something called 'Win_RE' which appears like an additional hard-drive.

Checking properties it's about 8gb with some windows system related stuff in there.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what it is, how I got it, do I need it, can I remove it, can I hide it?

I'm sure it's not harmful, & have tried googling it but can't seem to find the right answer.

It might be Windows Recovery Environment (?) but again don't know how, or why, it has appeared.

Thanks in advance.

rdave13 17:25 11 Jan 14

Could be your restore to factory partition showing up. Have a look at this thread, click here and especially Rance's post no.8.

Gordon Freeman 17:44 11 Jan 14

Thanks rdave13 for replying.

Have read the thread and that particular post (Rance), thanks. I was aware of this as a possible solution, but the drive doesn't actually show in Disk Management, which is odd.

I have done malwarebytes etc to check if there was anything untoward lurking, but it came up with a clean bill of health.

Still a bit puzzled with this I'm afraid, and don't want to get into the re-installation of Windows.

Gordon Freeman 17:51 11 Jan 14

Oh, having just read that thread, thought I'd mention, while there are no major problems with the desktop once it is up and running, it does take a frustratingly long time to boot into a useable state; i.e. able to use any applications such as Word, Outlook etc., so maybe the boot-up is damaged in some way?

rdave13 19:38 11 Jan 14

Have you tried the system file checker? Open CMD as administrator and type, or copy and paste, sfc/scannow, and press enter. It should check the files integrity and attempt repairs if needed. If a repair was needed and it was unable to do so then try running sfc another couple of times.

Strange that the partition is showing in 'computer' and not in disk management. Check again as I'm sure it is a partition, not a drive, and the letter it's designated to.

Gordon Freeman 14:27 12 Jan 14
Answer

Thanks again. Yes, I did the 'scannow' but it didn't find anything to fix.

I went into Disk Management, and there were 2 Recovery partitions there but without drive letters, which was odd. Right clicking only brought up 'Help' so was of no use as I couldn't remove from there.

I then found some info on Diskpart, and went thru that via Cmd console. Strange that Diskpart reported both volumes as 'hidden'. Certainly one of them wasn't as it appeared as H drive.

After a bit of reading on MS site, I've managed to removed the problem (Win_RE) which appeared as H-drive in My Computer.

Thanks for the clues which helped me get to the right solution.

Gordon Freeman 15:54 12 Jan 14

Lol, did a restart and it was back. Oh well, I'll leave it as it's not doing any harm.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos