Windows XP professional wont boot from disc

MikeyRowlands 00:05 28 Aug 14

Hi, so I have an old(er) laptop which is running XP professional, however it has a password which I do not know. I have tried reinstalling windows but the system won't boot from a disc.

I enter the boot menu, select the drive but the 'press any key to boot from disc' screen doesn't appear and the previous windows begins to load up. I have also tried orphcrack with no luck. Any suggestions?

tullie 08:27 28 Aug 14

Silly question i know,did you save your changes before exiting bios?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:04 28 Aug 14

Make and model of laptop?

MikeyRowlands 10:33 28 Aug 14

Unsure of the model but its an old dell laptop. And yes I did save the BIOS settings

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:43 28 Aug 14

Try pressing F12 should give you a choice of boot drive - make sure disk is in drive - select CD drive

Batch 14:10 28 Aug 14

I not sure you'll get "press any key to boot from disc" - I believe that was a more recent introduction and/or to do with the set-up on the CD/DVD disc itself (maybe in conjunction with BIOS). I certainly don't recall seeing it on older systems.

If you have set-up the BIOS to boot from CD/DVD first, it should just go straight in there. However, I have come across a situation recently with very old PC (17 years old) where, I believe, the CMOS battery had died and changes to the BIOS appeared to be saved, but were lost on the next boot. In my case I could not change the CMOS battery as it was not a standard set-up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:47 28 Aug 14

Batch

What type of CMOS battery? soldered on or even an IC? have a look here

Batch 17:03 28 Aug 14

FruitBat

Thanks for that. I was already aware that, ultimately, the battery could be changed, but as it was soldered to the mobo was not worth the hassle (by saying "not a standard set-up" I meant not the common or garden button cell). Anyways, gone to the dump a while ago. It was my accountant's PC and he was desperate to get it working as it had a built in floppy drive (he still keeps all his clients records on floppies........please don't ask) and being a Luddite and a tightwad he wanted to keep it working and I was trying to help him out.

Interestingly it had a 5.25 inch 4GB hard disk. Never come across one of them before. Heavy great thing it was.

MikeyRowlands 20:17 28 Aug 14

I have tried the suggestions but the laptop just seems to not recognise there is a disc in the drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:37 28 Aug 14

press and hold "Ctrl" and "Alt" and press "Delete" twice while the Welcome Screen is displayed.

Type in "Administrator" as the username, and leave the password field blank

You will not believe now many times I have managed to get into someone's computer this way when they said they can't remember their password.

If you created a password for the built-in administrator account, this wont work!!

MikeyRowlands 23:27 28 Aug 14

@fruit bat

I have also tried this with no success :(thanks for the reply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac