Windows was unable to complete the format + hotfix

WSR 19:55 16 Aug 07

I can't format a CD-RW disk on home premium; it chunters away counting down the timer, sits on "about 0 seconds remaining" for a couple of minutes, and then comes up with the above message. Can read disks previously created on same system, and am still using the same batch of (admittedly very cheap!) disks that I was using successfully up to a couple of months back. Hardware is Dell Dimension.

According to Microsoft Knowledge Base there is a hotfix for this (see click here), and the one file I've checked on my system (fs_rec.sys) is older than the one in the article.

Can somebody tell me how I get and install a hotfix? And, anyway, why did it once work and not work now?

Many thanks.

tullie 20:08 16 Aug 07

Im curious as to why you want to format a cdrw,or any cd or dvd,ive been using these for eons,and havent had to format.

WSR 21:18 16 Aug 07

When I try to drag files to a new CD Vista wants to format it first. Am I missing something basic?

tullie 21:29 16 Aug 07

sorry,ive never used vista to copy,so i cant advise

perrys 10:04 29 Oct 07

This must not be that uncommon...I have exactly the same problem..can format DVD's (if I want to..DVD-RW)and can use Windows DVD Maker on this drive but as soon as I even attempt to select the drive (with a blank CD) I get the "Prepare this Blank Disk" box, asking me for a "Disk Title" and to select "Live File System" or "Mastered"...with Live File System the drive starts and runs for about 30 secs.."Formatting (0 bytes)" then brings up the "Windows was unable to complete the format" box. With Mastered it is slightly different, it just sits and appears to do nothing but if I drag a file to the drive it tells me "files ready to be burned to the disk" and if tell it to burn I get "validating" and "failed" with the disk ejecting...Have tried it with various CD's that work just fine on my other XP PC....HELP !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5