Windows vista restore point help?

bery_451 16:52 11 Jan 08

Hi all,

I have vista ultimate 32 bit and i created a system restore point on my external 120gb usb hard drive.

when i open system restore, how do i tell it to show and select restore point from hard drive instead of root drive?

cheers,

Jim_F 18:19 11 Jan 08

Hi bery,

I think you may have used the Backup Computer option in Backup and Restore Center.

This is more more drastic than using system restore as it returns everything in the drive(s) backed up to how it was (including data, emails etc). Restore points are usually stored on the same partition as the data Windows is restoring - in the System Volume Information folder.

Restore points are created whenever Windows does updates or loads new programmes so if you just want to correct problems with the OS you should be able to find a restore point at around the date of your backup and use that.

bery_451 23:46 11 Jan 08

i never backed up my computer, i just created a restore point which only works with system restore.

how do i tell system restore to choose restore point from my usb drive?

Jim_F 00:06 12 Jan 08

Sorry if I misunderstood - as far as I know system restore will restore all system data on all drives for any restore point. There are no choices you just take your system files (Windowa, Registry etc) back to a point in time that you choose.

This is for every disk that has systems files on it.

bery_451 12:17 12 Jan 08

thanks but when i open system restore it doesnt show the restore points created on my usb drive?

Probabilitydrive 12:24 12 Jan 08

As far as I know, you can't create a restore point on an external HDD. It has to be on the C-drive. As such it shows up in your system restore facilities.

You can create an C drive Image file with programmes such as Norton Ghost of Acronis. These programmes allow you to store a complete Hard drive image on an external Hard drive.

ened 12:51 12 Jan 08

Actually I have Vista Ultimate and when I wish to create a Restore Point it gives me an option of ticking the box next to any or all of my Drives, including the external.

I have only ever used the C Drive which is why I am unable to contribute to this problem.

bery_451 15:18 12 Jan 08

anyone can help?

ened 16:00 12 Jan 08

Why do you need to?

All your System Files should be on the Main (probably C:) drive.

I have just realised that, although I can use D or I (External) there is no point.

bery_451 22:48 12 Jan 08

because i installed this program and everything feels so slow even though i uninstall thats why i want to restore.

i restore to external usb drive because not enough space on my root C drive.

bery_451 11:53 15 Jan 08

i really need of help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…