windows vista rc1

ton1 02:30 13 Nov 06

anyone having issues with media player in windows vista rc1...my videos wont play all i see is a green screen

BurrWalnut 07:29 13 Nov 06

There is a known problem with some AMD CPUs misbehaving.

Do you have an AMD?

Coltch 10:41 13 Nov 06

I had this problem with Beta 2, but everything runs fine in RC1 (AMD64 X2 3800+), what graphics card are you running?.

ton1 15:42 13 Nov 06

i'm using amd 3200+ geforce2 6600gt oc
latest drivers vista forceware on nvidia web sight

josie mayhem 00:31 14 Nov 06

Must be only select AMD cpu that have a problem with vista, as I have a sempron 3100+ and no probs with either beta1 of beta2 5744, graphic card readon 9550guru.... (32 system)

Have you check codecs for media player?

Do you have any sucess with any other player?

How much memory are you running on?

BurrWalnut 07:47 14 Nov 06

You're probably right. I'm using an old XP 2000 and no versions of Vista have behaved properly, i.e. purchased DVDs have intermittent sound and my home videos aren't even recognised.

I saw the AMD problem in the Microsoft Vista forum and decided not to spend any time trying to correct it.

hunt1201 16:15 15 Nov 06

I want to remove vista but it will not let me! I have tried to Reinstall XP Pro from CDRom but it will not recognise any hard drives to format.

Has anyone come accross this problem? Any ideas for a solution?

BurrWalnut 19:43 15 Nov 06

You cannot uninstall Vista, equally XP will not recognise the HDD as it's a different type of NTFS, named transaction NTFS which allows multiple file updates to be automatically committed or rolled back.

Your best bet is to delete the partition then reinstall XP.

BurrWalnut 19:46 15 Nov 06

I should have made it plain that it is beta versions of Vista that cannot be uninstalled. The RTM version(s) will, of course, be 'uninstallable' as per previous Windows versions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5