Windows Vista & Midi playback

Dragon_Heart 00:32 17 Aug 08

My Windows XP desktop MEDION PC has a 'C-Media Wave Device' which in turn uses a 'Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth' for midi music playback. Is this non standard in Windows Vista Home Premium ?

MEDION MD96178 Laptop

Intel Dual Core T2060 1.6 Ghz

1024 Mb DDR2 RAM

Anvil Studio

Realtek Onboard sound

crosstrainer 01:06 17 Aug 08

Bit confused...C-Media make onboard sound, and so do Realtek...Either way whichever you have both will be recognised by Vista if upgrading is what you are planning?

Dragon_Heart 01:19 17 Aug 08

it will not play Midi music files.

My Windows XP desktop MEDION PC has a 'C-Media Wave Device' which in turn uses a 'Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth' for midi playback.

As I am very new to VISTA I am unsure if 'Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth' is available

crosstrainer 01:26 17 Aug 08

Check that you have the correct drivers:

click here

Choose the correct model from the list...You can find out via device manager in control panel or run:

click here

This will give you a report of all hardware including the model of your sound chip.

MCE2K5 01:37 17 Aug 08

Has SP1 been offered to you by Windows Update?

Dragon_Heart 01:49 17 Aug 08

Waiting for wireless router :-(

I do have an 'old' Creative - Sound Blaster Audigy so may try that if all else fails

MCE2K5 01:54 17 Aug 08

Do the midi files play but you get NO sound coming out of speakers, If so click here

Dragon_Heart 02:22 17 Aug 08

Do not play !

With report saying 'no midi device found'

MCE2K5 03:53 17 Aug 08

Can you play the Midi Files in Windows Media Player?

Dragon_Heart 04:12 17 Aug 08

No !

Dragon_Heart 12:54 19 Aug 08

I decided to try my Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX, it worked. Also tried it after I removed it from USB port, still works.

My guess is it was a damaged or missing codec of some kind and the installation of the Audigy software sorted it

The strange this is one Medion helpline guy suggested this ( damaged or missing codec ) but another said it was too technical for them to solve ?

Thanks for your suggestions guy's

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…