Windows Vista Home Premium freezes at desktop stage

ardeebee 12:48 PM 22 Jun 13

I am running Window Vista Home Premium (with SP2) with automatic updates on my Compaq SR5606UK Desktop PC with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 5000+ 2.60GHz with 3.00GB RAM & 32-bit operating system.

Recently I'm getting an intermittent problem at start-up. Windows is loading normally to the desktop stage and certain icons are loading into the system tray (eg. clock, network , safely remove etc) but then everything freezes and the only option is to switch off, either at the mains or by holding the on/off switch on the PC case. Sometimes this happens several times before a successful start-up is achieved. Other times, a normal start-up happens straight away. I've run diagnostic checks and everything reports as OK/passed. I've also run AVG virus checker and nothing is found. I did run a Microsoft System Restore which seemed to resolve the issue for a short time but as the problem is intermittent that may have just been a coincidence. Any suggestions, please.

ardeebee 09:50 AM 28 Jun 13

Thanks for the suggestions. Have checked Device Manager and found no exclamation marked items. Nothing found on chkdsk - or rather, I set it to run and when I returned sometime later it had completed & my normal desktop was showing so I'm assuming all was OK. However, I have turned off Windows automatic updates and so far have only had one failure to start-up correctly. May be a coincidence or may be not !! Thanks again.

ardeebee 15:59 PM 28 Jun 13

I run AVG free anti-virus, which switches off Windows Defender by default. Thanks again.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED