Windows Vista Freezing

sbutler1 18:22 27 Sep 07

I have a HP Pavilion laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium and it keeps on freezing.

There are two types of freezing; one where the screen freezea and then goes black, and one where the screen blurs.

It happens sporadically; sometimes its fine for a day, other time it freezes very often. It is increased by playing games, but can occur even when im browisng the internet.

Is there anything I can do to stop the problem?

Cheers, Steve

celticdragon 18:58 27 Sep 07

Can you give us some more info on your computer specs, like processor and graphics card please. It sounds like a graphics card problem although it's difficult to diagnose without further info. Are all your drivers up to date?

sbutler1 19:23 27 Sep 07

Full spec can be found here:

click here

It has a decent NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7150M graphics card I believe.

I think I have most updates but it has been a problem since I got the laptop a few weeks ago.

Sorry about my lack of PC and computing knowledge.

fishface113 20:35 27 Sep 07

I have had many problems with Nvidia graphics card drivers and Vista. I am now using a driver from February 07 which works fine. In fact I installed 6 different versions till I found one that was reliable. You may need to look at your driver version and see if there are earlier or later ones available.

click here

IntoPCs 23:21 27 Sep 07

with fishface113 - as each updated Nvidia driver came out it caused 'little' problems on my PC - I am now using the Feb 07 version and my photo screensaver has started working again as has my remote for Media Center. Try the older drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017