Windows Vista

zarobian 15:48 23 Aug 08

WindowsXP loader is i386 what is the file name for Windows Vista,please?

'Z'

Sea Urchin 11:26 24 Aug 08

The following is taken from a Vista Newsletter - hope it helps:

Where is winnt.exe in Vista?

QUESTION:
With Windows NT, 2000, XP etc., you could install the operating system by running winnt.exe in the i386 folder. This doesn't seem to be the case with Vista. I always copied the i386 folder to the hard disk in case I needed to repair corrupt system files later, but I don't know what's going on with Vista. Is there something equivalent to winnt?

ANSWER:
The installation process in Vista is completely different from that of previous Microsoft operating systems. That's because the installation DVD actually contains a compressed image of the Vista OS. The install.wim file executes when you run the setup and decompresses the image onto your hard drive. For a more detailed explanation, see
click here

If you've installed Vista Service Pack 1, you can use the administrative tools it installs to create a recovery or repair disc to repair corrupt system files. This creates a "stripped down" version that lets you do a repair without the Windows installation disc. You can create a bootable USB version of the repair disc. Read more about that here:
click here

zarobian 17:35 24 Aug 08

Thanks for that. I shall create a "Repair CD" using the method descibed in your second link.I hope it is bootable if not I shall use iobuster to make it bootable. Thanks again.

,Z,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009