Windows upgrade

ArthurJB 10:46 AM 31 Oct 12

I am considering upgrading to windows 8 by downloading the update from microsofts website, cost £25 a good deal. My question is, my C: drive is an SSD drive with only 11gb available from 74gb, is this enough space? I seem to remember from a post somewhere that I would require 22gb. I am considering an upgrade retaining all my files.

sharpamat 10:56 AM 31 Oct 12

Have a good read of the latest posting on this by FE. To me it reads that this is not as good value as it at first seems

johndrew 11:10 AM 31 Oct 12
  johndrew 11:12 AM 31 Oct 12
  Forum Editor 11:38 AM 31 Oct 12

Transferred to the Windows 8 Help forum from Windows 7 Help.

Forum Editor 11:41 AM 31 Oct 12

You'll need 16Gb of drive space for the 32bit version and 20Gb for the 64bit version.

ArthurJB 16:13 PM 31 Oct 12

As I intend to upgrade not a clean install do I need the full 20Gb? As the new system will install over the old system. I have a large D: drive as well.

ArthurJB 17:02 PM 02 Nov 12

The real question I was trying to get answered was as I only have 11Gb spare when I start to upgrade will I require an additional 20Gb, or as the upgrade progresses will the old system be overwritten and I end up not requiring so much. Thank you

AJB

Chronos the 2nd 17:12 PM 02 Nov 12

When only using a very small SSD it is wise to just keep it for your OS and programs.Everything else should go on a separate HDD. The prices of 128GB SSD's are very low so if I were you I would either move everything off your current SSD except programs and OS or move to a bigger SSD.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED