windows update will not work

BLACKBEN 18:51 PM 04 Jul 12

I have tried scannow, chkdsk amongst many others to no avail. I click on win update and a message pops up saying service not in operation restart to activate. The win update in services is switched on where do I go from here.

difarn 21:52 PM 04 Jul 12

You could download the Microsoft "Fix it" tool discussed in this article.

difarn 21:53 PM 04 Jul 12

I meant to add that if this is not successful you could try a system restore to a point before the problem started.

BLACKBEN 09:43 AM 05 Jul 12

Did restore no good, fix it tool did not repair, will try defender and see what happens. Thanks

BLACKBEN 09:45 AM 05 Jul 12

tried fix it and restore to no avail, will try defender. Thanks

BLACKBEN 17:20 PM 05 Jul 12

Have now got updates working more by fluke than knowledge. My other problem is wifi card keeps disapearing from device manager and if I restart it will appear for about 5 mins and then is missing again from D/M? wi fi dongle works okay. Thanks

difarn 21:59 PM 05 Jul 12

Have you checked to see if your wifi adapter driver is up to date and also the driver for your dongle?

BLACKBEN 08:39 AM 06 Jul 12

Hi thanks and yes drivers upto date, but new device isatap is showing yellow mark.

difarn 09:54 AM 06 Jul 12

Did you install this -it is in relation to ipv6 -this article may help you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016