Windows update not working

mark3986 07 Jul 09

hi my windows update isnt working since i got a virus?ive got rid of the virus through Avast.but i keep getting this error code CODE 80070424 says i need to reinstall windows update agent but i carnt find it any help and tips would be appricated

mooly 08 Jul 09

Open <help and support> from the start menu.
Type 80070424 into the search help box. Tells you what to do.

mark3986 08 Jul 09

i still carnt find a fix for this error please i need help

mooly 08 Jul 09

Did you look and follow the links in the help and support page ?
click here

mark3986 08 Jul 09

still didnt fix it mate wot can i do now

mooly 09 Jul 09

As the problem seems to have been caused by a virus you might end up having to do a reinstall.
Is it worth trying first running the sfc command to check and repair damaged files.
From a command prompt (type cmd into the run box) and right click cmd.exe and run as admin.
Type (note the space),
sfc /SCANNOW
that should take around 45 mins or so.
Can't think of anything else if the Microsoft solution doesn't work, sorry.

mark3986 10 Jul 09

done that mooly and it came back with one error couldnt be fixed wot else can i do?

rdave13 11 Jul 09

Have you checked that windows update is started and on automatic in services?
Click start- start search -type 'services' and scroll down to windows update. Double click and and make sure it's started and on auto(delayed start)and click apply tab.

mark3986 11 Jul 09

yeah it is mate any other ideas

mooly 11 Jul 09

Sounds like you have a real problem to me.
You can (never tried it) repair corrupt files but you probably need a Vista install disc.
I think a reinstall is on the cards for this.
See also,
click here

rdave13 11 Jul 09

As a temporary measure download Belarc Advisor. This will show any updates missing(if any). Copy and paste the missing update to Microsoft Download Center; click here and update manually.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message