Windows Reinstall after upgrade

sol_sun_ftm 06 Jan 12

I bought an Acer Travelmate with Vista installed and received a free upgrade to Windows 7. May laptop has a problem that requires a reinstall of windows however my update disk is scratched. Can I use any windows 7 home premium disk and my key or do I need to reinstall vista and obtain a new upgrade disk. TIA

difarn 06 Jan 12

If you read the attached article you will see that it is possible to use your present key and another disk.

sol_sun_ftm 10 Jan 12

Tried it. When it came to input key it would not accept it and setup closed down

difarn 10 Jan 12

As it is an upgrade did you re-load vista and then upgrade again to Windows 7?

Have a look at this Windows article

sol_sun_ftm 10 Jan 12

No I don't have a copy of vista so used a friends copy of W7 home premium with my key.

difarn 11 Jan 12

You could try not choosing to activate the product - leave the box unchecked, and then activate the product on line - as per this article.

sol_sun_ftm 26 Jan 12

Ended up getting a copy of the upgrade from an acquaintance. Used that with my code Bit of a pain to be honest can't see why you can't just install the version of windows and use the upgrade key.

difarn 26 Jan 12

I think that it is more straightforward (although not easy) to do just a straightforward upgrade - it is complicated if you have to reinstall the upgrade for some reason and don't have access to the original version. I don't think Microsoft have explained things very clearly about their upgrades as lots of people are having varying degrees of difficulty.

I agree with you about the easy option would be to just have installed the new version of windows with the upgrade key - some marketing ploy perhaps because an upgrade is cheaper.

I am assuming everything is working ok now - if so could you please turn the grey tick to a green one so other readers who may be having the same problem may be able to more easily find a solution.

Thanks.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message