Windows "old" folder

Cedric Harper 20:31 PM 19 Jul 12

I’ve recently installed Win 7 over Vista. It was a clean install as I couldn’t get the upgrade method to work. I now find I have Windows folder (9.97Gb) and a Windows Old folder (136 Gb).

Can I just delete the Windows old folder? I’m never going back to Vista so that’s not an issue here.

Many thanks

ams4127 20:43 PM 19 Jul 12

The short answer is "Yes" as long as you are happy with your new installation. I left mine for about a month before deleting it.

Cedric Harper 21:02 PM 19 Jul 12

Many thanks

Just a bit nervous about deleting. If it's just the old Vista files I wonder why it's so large.

ams4127 22:51 PM 20 Jul 12

Glad to be of help.

Actually, your question jogged my mind into action. My wife had been complaining recently (Ok, always!) that she was running low on disk space on her machine. Last night I checked up and found that I had forgotten to delete the .old folder after upgrading to Win 7.

At least she has now stopped complaining about that particular item.

Cedric Harper 20:39 PM 21 Jul 12

Manged to delete it only by using disk clean up utility and then only by running as admin.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

#AdventSauceJoyMince - generate a gratuitous Christmas tweet for #GivingTuesday charity

New MacBook Air release date, specs and rumours: 11in MacBook Air to be discontinued