Windows Media Player problem

exedan 10:39 18 Jun 07

Hi.
I have Windows Vista Ultimate installed on my PC and everything works fine. I have a problem though with websites recognising the fact I have Windows Media Player 11 installed. Media Player works fine stand alone and I have no issues with it.
The issue arises when I want to stream video from websites and it lists the checklist of requirements needed - they all say that Media Player is not installed. It links you to the Microsoft website to download it. But you can't as I have a newer version that the one that it is available.

Anyone else having this issue? Thanks

tobyb121 11:36 18 Jun 07

I have not had any poblems of this sort, and have been on plenty of sites that stream to windows media player, are there any sites in particular where you have had this problem, or is it all sites. If it is that just one or two sites, then it is probably the websites fault, as they havn't made their site compatible yet, if it is all sites then there is probably something wrong with a registry in your computer. tobyb

madgamer234 11:48 18 Jun 07

tried testing it in eg firefox after installing the plug-ins?

Unclekev 12:48 19 Jun 07

Hi.
I had a similar problem with Vista Home Premium. It occured after I installed VistaCodecs. Media Player worked fine on stored audio or video files but would not open for streamed files. I seem to have sorted it by going into "Default Progams" from the start menu and setting Media Player as the default program in the Autoplay settings for the various types of media and files listed. As I say, it worked fine until I installed the codecs but it might be worth a try to solve your problem

Ashdee 15:17 25 Jun 07

I am having problems along the lines of the above but the error message I am receiving is as follows:-
The file you are attempting to play has an extension (.wmv) that does not match the file format. Playing the file may result in unexpected behaviour.

If I elect to play the file the error message is as follows: -

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The player might not support this type of might or support the codec that was used to compress the file.

I have tried various things to resolve this with the help of support technicians from MediaZone the suppliers of the streaming media I was trying to play. On my XP machine using an earlier version of Windows Media Player the streams work perfectly ok. I have checked Microsoft’s website for a solution without success. The file types are set correctly and Media Player is the default player. Would really appreciate some help with this. Thank you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac