Windows Media Player 12 and CD ripping

orsta 18:12 PM 23 Nov 12
Answered

It's a while since I've needed help. Recently Windows media Player has failed to list ripped CD's.

After they have been ripped they show in the library listing but if I close WMP and reopen it the ripped CD is not listed. It is in my Music folder and this is set as the default folder in WMP.

I have un-installed WMP and re-installed it, tried various CD's and can not find any thing relating this problem on the net.

Can any one help?

c

Number six 22:52 PM 23 Nov 12

I'm afraid this is the default action for WMP. It always opens "empty" and you have to create a playlist to play music tracks.

[WMP playlists ]1

Number six 22:57 PM 23 Nov 12
  orsta 11:49 AM 24 Nov 12

Thanks for the thought Number Six, but it's not a play list I'm trying to correct. That bit works fine. It's just that newly ripped CD's aren't showing in the Library.

c

orsta 18:26 PM 24 Nov 12

Hi Marg, I tried that as well.

My next thought is to create a new profile and see if it happens there as well.

c

rdave13 19:42 PM 24 Nov 12

Check in services that Windows Search is running and on auto. Runs indexing and WMP networking sharing services. It also affects the way libraries communicate.

orsta 19:48 PM 24 Nov 12

rdave13, I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know.

c

orsta 20:05 PM 25 Nov 12

Windows search is up and running on auto start.

I did try another user profile with success. So tomorrow I will transfer all important bits over from the old profile to the new one and keep finger crossed.

c

orsta 15:25 PM 26 Nov 12
Answer

Got it fixed. Deleted the Windows Media Players media database (*.wmdb) files, started WMP which rebuilt the database.

Started WMP a few times just to test, and all seems OK.

c

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 review: Why the new Start menu, Edge browser, new apps and Cortana make Windows 10 the…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Help Dan Rubin curate galleries of Adobe Stock images – and you could win a year's Creative Cloud

iPhone 6c release date rumours and images | Expect iPhone 6c to be Apple Pay ready