Windows Media Player 12 and CD ripping

orsta 23 Nov 12
Answered

It's a while since I've needed help. Recently Windows media Player has failed to list ripped CD's.

After they have been ripped they show in the library listing but if I close WMP and reopen it the ripped CD is not listed. It is in my Music folder and this is set as the default folder in WMP.

I have un-installed WMP and re-installed it, tried various CD's and can not find any thing relating this problem on the net.

Can any one help?

c

Number six 23 Nov 12

I'm afraid this is the default action for WMP. It always opens "empty" and you have to create a playlist to play music tracks.

[WMP playlists ]1

Number six 23 Nov 12
  orsta 24 Nov 12

Thanks for the thought Number Six, but it's not a play list I'm trying to correct. That bit works fine. It's just that newly ripped CD's aren't showing in the Library.

c

orsta 24 Nov 12

Hi Marg, I tried that as well.

My next thought is to create a new profile and see if it happens there as well.

c

rdave13 24 Nov 12

Check in services that Windows Search is running and on auto. Runs indexing and WMP networking sharing services. It also affects the way libraries communicate.

orsta 24 Nov 12

rdave13, I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know.

c

orsta 25 Nov 12

Windows search is up and running on auto start.

I did try another user profile with success. So tomorrow I will transfer all important bits over from the old profile to the new one and keep finger crossed.

c

orsta 26 Nov 12
Answer

Got it fixed. Deleted the Windows Media Players media database (*.wmdb) files, started WMP which rebuilt the database.

Started WMP a few times just to test, and all seems OK.

c

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message