Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4
Whenever I try to install or uninstall anything that uses windows installer, the service stops and I get an error from the program I'm trying to install or uninstall. When I open services.msc and go to the Windows Installer service, it is running and then it just stops—always when I try to install or uninstall a program and sometimes at random. The problem started after a failed Net Framework installation. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit.
sfc and Microsoft FixIt are unable to repair Windows Installer; isn't there any other way to repair it besides a clean install?
Things I've tried:
- sfc /scannow = "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
- Windows 7 repair/upgrade install = unexpected error
- checked permissions on HKEYlocalmachine\system\currentcontrolset\services\msiserver
- replaced HKEYlocalmachine\system\currentcontrolset\services\msiserver with the regkey folder from a working Windows 7 machine
- created a new admin account and tried a windows repair install = same error
- stopped and started Windows Installer Service countless times using various methods and tried both manual and automatic startup type
- tried setting Windows Installer Service to restart indefinitely after failure
- system restore = fails
- Windows Installer registry key fix = nothing
- Microsoft FixIt = unexpected error
- booting in safe mode = no change
- Startup Repair = no problems detected
- chkdsk /f /r
- 2 passes of memtest86
- Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
- Net Framework cleanup tool
I don't think it's a virus and everything is running fine otherwise. I've tried restoring from an image, but I suspect that the image was made after the problem started occurring (I only discovered this problem when I tried to update Net Framework and Microsoft Visual c++). I'd really rather not do a clean install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.