Windows Explorer missing

dolphinaber 11:27 09 May 08

Hi, Booted up and the icons came up on the screen but also a rather sinister window saying
Windows Explorer has stopped working.
Two instructions
(1)Check on line for a solution later and close the program.
(2)Close the program.
When I click on either the icons disappear and I am left with my screen saver!
Nothing left to click on.
I have found a way to get on line by clicking on View problem details and clicking on a web page given there on!
Of course no Start button etc
I have Vista.
Not long had it with new PC and not very technically minded.
Lets hope its a simple fix!
Many thanks for any help.
Bill

BurrWalnut 15:22 09 May 08

Note: This problem can be caused by ‘malware’ but try this:

As the Windows Orb (Start) is missing, open regedit via Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift +Esc then on the Applications Tab click ‘New Task’ at the bottom, type regedit.exe and press Enter.

Navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. In the right pane, make sure there is a REG_SZ named Shell and it has a value of "explorer.exe" (no quotation marks). If it’s not there, create it by clicking Edit > New > String Value then right-click it and key in explorer.exe then restart the computer.

To be prudent, create a system restore point (rstrui.exe in Task Manager) before making any changes to the registry.

dolphinaber 18:24 09 May 08

I have just sent you a long reply but unfortunately it didnt! As a one finger typist I hate it when these things happen. An abridged version coming up.
I did as you said but guess what came up but a simarlar window saying
Windows Task Manager has stopped working.
Oh dear!

BurrWalnut 18:52 09 May 08

Run all your 'anti' programs.

dolphinaber 20:59 09 May 08

Thank you BurrWalnut, Not sure how to go about finding anti programs. Can get on web sites but nothing else. No icons about. Perhaps you could tell me how it could be done.
Shame I cant get system restore. I know how to use that!

BurrWalnut 08:02 10 May 08

By 'anti' programs I meant antivirus, antispyware and the like as I'm suggesting you have caught something nasty.

dolphinaber 10:36 10 May 08

All I can get up is my aol home page from which I can get any web sites but as for my anties I just dont know how to get those up.
I have my old Time PC still connected which I am using to do other `stuff` on.I have a Belkin switch over for the two PCs.
The new machine is a Aldi Medion 8833. I know it is all down to me when I get problems. I click on things I should not though in this case it could be as you say be a virus.
Anything further I can do? Limited knowledge and old age dont go well together!

jakimo 11:47 10 May 08

have a browse here

click here

dolphinaber 23:07 10 May 08

Sorry but just sent two replies but neither left here.Soon as I send I get logged off. Thinging of restore disc. Will try post response again

dolphinaber 23:17 10 May 08

Got it off that time jakimo Thanks for postings, lot of them but I have nothing to click on thats my problem.Keep this short.
Meant thinking in previous!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now