Windows defender , do i need xtra spyware

aortic 18:44 24 Mar 07

Hi All,

I have readt that windows defender does not catch all trojans and malware is this true , and if yes what can i use that does , i have Norton anti virus running , am i protected ?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:51 24 Mar 07

You have more than enough protection.

G

Totally-braindead 22:54 25 Mar 07

A lot of the magazines have recommended using 2 antispyware programs because no antispyware program finds everything. What they said was pick any two and use them both and hopefully the second one will get anything the first one missed.

aortic 08:21 26 Mar 07

Hi All,

Can anyone recomend another spyware t0 use with windows defender , or am i being paraniod ?

anskyber 10:09 26 Mar 07

If you really want to, have a back up scanner. Spybot works with Vista and just scan once a week. click here

Input Overload 19:07 26 Mar 07

I run SuperAnti-Spyware along with Defender, I find these run well together without any problems.

charliestumpy 12:45 27 Mar 07

AS I'm sure other shave found, in Beta and now in Vista Defender is junk - many Vista systems currently are having problems with MS update in Defender.

From my experience, free AdAware and free Spybot are the best - until MS sort out Defender without the bugs, it makes sense to use both of the above.

anskyber 12:50 27 Mar 07

Whatever ills Defender may or may not have it is a full time/real time service to block spyware. Whilst I agree that Spybot and AdAware are also useful the free ones are only scanners for intermittent use.
Incidentally I have had no problems with MS Update in Defender.

charliestumpy 12:52 27 Mar 07

'Defender' - try attacking ...

As I'm sure others have found, in Beta and now in Vista, Defender is junk - many (most???) Vista systems currently are having problems with MS update in Defender.

From my experience, free AdAware and free Spybot are the best - until MS sort out Defender without the bugs, it makes sense to use both of the above.

charliestumpy 13:13 27 Mar 07

*** STOP PRESS ***

Vista 'Defender' update-problems after recent Vista updates MIGHT have been resolved now - but it is still IMO better to download/install/update regularly /use Spybot and AdAware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…