Windows 8.1/8 installation on SSD

raazi91 20:52 18 Apr 15

Hi,

I am not a total noob with computers but right now in a bit of a pickle.

I bought a lenovo laptop a year ago. It came with windows 8 preinstalled. then i upgraded after a while to windows 8.1. Now I am planning to put a SSD in my computer.

My queries are: 1. I was not given a windows 8 key when I received a laptop. i heard that with new laptops windows keys are embedded into motherboard or something so even if my windows gets corrupt, i would have to simply run the setup and it would not ask me for a key. Is it right or not?

1. If above statement was tight, would I be able to upgrade free of cost to windows 8.1 again or not?

2. Again considering that my laptop price included the price for windows, am i allowed to download a setup of windows 8 from somewhere and make a bootable usb off of it and use it to install the windows on SSD? If yes, can I have a good link for the windows setup?

I am installing SSD for the first time, let me know if I am not considering some other thing too

Anxiously waiting for some feedback :)

Cheers, Raazi

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:43 18 Apr 15

Follow the instructions to clone the hard drive to the ssd

Gordon Freeman 17:40 19 Apr 15

If, for example, you were installing a Samsung SSD to replace your current HDD, then it does come with software to enable a seamless migration from one drive to the other without the need to be worrying. I'm sure other reputable SSD providers offer something similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017