Windows 8.1 update and now no sound

JoeMinar 20:52 25 Feb 15

When I click on the sound icon, i can see the sound moving so it seems to be working fine but there is still no sound (it's not on mute). i have been on computer management and restarted windows audio and still nothing. Any other suggestions?

thanks

rdave13 00:43 26 Feb 15

Device manager, Sound, video and game controllers, what audio codecs, devices show? The top of the list is usually the driver being used. If Updates has installed the wrong one then right click the top audio driver/codec/ device (whatever it shows) and select 'update driver software'. Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'. Select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'. The new window should show a list of drivers. The icon on the left that is a blue colour is the one selected and not working. Click a driver below the top one and select 'next'. You might get a warning that your non working sound won't work. Select ok anyway. Test it for audio. You can always revert to another latent driver exactly the same way. You might have more choices than me but I have three or four.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…