Is Windows 8 worth getting?

steve263000 11:15 AM 28 Oct 12

I am thinking of getting a new desktop in the future, as I find my laptop a bit small these days. It works OK and has W7, but I feel like a change. Do I REALLY need one? No not really, but that is rarely the point is it.

My question of course is, Windows 8. I will want a desktop if I change and I have read on here that it is designed more for the tablet etc. Does it work well on the desktops.

And more importantly can I transfer all my W7 stuff to W8? All the programs and music and photos and videos that I use now, is there a transfer system to the new OS?

I won't buy in any case until the fuss and price has gone down next year, but I thought I would post to see what the forums think.

ordep 12:39 PM 28 Oct 12

There's a review on 'Click' at the moment, worth a look'see. Spencer Kelly wasn't overly impressed.

Forum Editor 13:12 PM 28 Oct 12

Moved to our Windows 8 help forum from Tech Consumer Advice.

Angry Kid 14:41 PM 28 Oct 12

steve263000,

Early days yet and still playing around but my initial thoughts are this is well worth doing.

So far a happy user after moving from Windows 7 Pro.

Angry

steve263000 18:34 PM 28 Oct 12

Thanks for the response all. Any more would be appreciated.

steve263000 18:35 PM 28 Oct 12

And more importantly can I transfer all my W7 stuff to W8? All the programs and music and photos and videos that I use now, is there a transfer system to the new OS?

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/29/windows-8-help/4182723/is-windows-8-worth-getting/?pn=1#ixzz2AcW0uDdZ

aquatarkus 18:48 PM 28 Oct 12

The price of Win8 won't go down in the new year it will go UP. Microsoft are doing special offers up until January. After that date the price will go up the upgrade if you have a qualifying product installed already is £24.99 you can make your own DVD from the downloaded file. If you want to buy an actual disc it will cost you £49.99 there are no retail versions at the moment, there will be an OEM (system builder) later on that will be about £120

Regards

Aquatarkus

morddwyd 20:33 PM 28 Oct 12

I've tried the release preview an I won't be upgrading, even though I have | a touchscreen laptop which qualifies for a free upgrade.

hunts 16:19 PM 29 Oct 12

Is the disk for only one upgrade or can it be used on more than one?

mbc 16:43 PM 29 Oct 12

I recently bought a new pc with the option of upgrading to Win 8 for £14.99. I ran the compatability check and was disgusted to see just how many of my progs are not compatable, so presumably will not run. I am talking hundreds of pounds to replace perfectly working progs. Will think very carefully before buying, or will run dual boot system, in which case Win 8 will be not much more than a plaything.

Forum Editor 17:52 PM 29 Oct 12

hunts

You can only use it on one machine.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Lexus hoverboard film shows skater Ross McGouran doing tricks on it

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…