Windows 8 upgrades - important licensing terms

Forum Editor 10:20 AM 30 Oct 12

One of the threads in this forum raised a question about whether, when you buy the upgrade version of Windows 8, you can then install your previous Windows version on another computer.

There was some confusion about this, and I wasn't too sure myself, because Microsoft has made quite a few changes to its licensing terms with Windows 8. I have now checked with Microsoft, and the definitive answer is no.

This is what they say:

"The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. You do not retain any rights to the original software after you have upgraded and you may not continue to use it or transfer it in any way."

Which means you may as well throw the previous version DVD in the bin.

woody 17:51 PM 31 Oct 12

"Which means you may as well throw the previous version DVD in the bin." Do not do that - you might need it.

jackladd 18:58 PM 31 Oct 12

and just how does microsoft expect to police this scenario . I currently run windows XP (64BIT) Vista (64 and 32bit) windows 7 (64bit) and windows 8 Proffessional (64bit) on the same PC via HyperOS 2012, all are currently activated (legally ) and all are working fine ,with windows update working ,and MSS installed and working too .

jackladd 19:00 PM 31 Oct 12

whoops sorry .mine are all full versions .no upgrades .

estuary 09:15 AM 01 Nov 12

Do I understand it that you can't go back to Win 7 on the same PC ,with the manufacturers disk supplied, if you don't want to continue with the win 8 upgrade version? I am slightly confused by this

Forum Editor 10:34 AM 01 Nov 12

As long as you are not running the Windows 8 upgrade your Windows 7 licence is still valid - you can install it again.

Pine Man 17:01 PM 02 Nov 12

Odd that. Both Windows 7 and it's upgrade to Windows 8 work happily side by side on my PC. The only problem was that when I booted from Windows 7 early on it didn't like the 'modified' NTFS files of Windows 8 so it tried to repair them! Had to reinstall Windows 8 again:-(

rdave13 18:26 PM 02 Nov 12

Pine Man, possibly because it's the same PC. I installed Win 7, trial period so no key inputted, and Win 8 had no problems activating. The only thing with this upgrade is that it its treated as OEM. From what I've read it will be tied to the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11