Windows 8 Taking >5 minutes to boot fully

paradiddle1984 19:58 22 Feb 15

Hi all,

I'm looking for some support for a slow boot issue I'm experiencing with my laptop. As the title suggests, my laptop is taking over 5 minutes to fully boot up.

I've looked into Task Manager > Start-Up to see if there are any clues in there as to the problem. The 5 applications sat on the start-up tab are:

• ATLauncher (Enabled)
  • Ask Toolbar Notifier (Disabled)
  • QuickTime Task (Disabled)
  • iTunesHelper (Disabled)
  • Microsoft Office 2010 component (disabled)

However, I've also got Spotify & Skype loading up on my desktop after about 5 minutes (along with the various other bits like iCloud, Asus Live Update etc in my system tray). I don't know why Spotify or Skype are booting and nor do I know what's going on causing such a long boot time.

Any ideas on how I can improve this would be much appreciated. Please let me know if you need any more info and I'll be happy to provide it.

Thanks,

Paul.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:35 22 Feb 15

Use CCleaner -Tools - Startup

to really show whats starting with windows, you can disable using the program as well just leave your Antivirus antimalware enable at start

wee eddie 22:06 22 Feb 15

No mention of an Anti virus!

paradiddle1984 11:05 25 Feb 15

Hi Guys,

So I have CCleaner, Adaware and Avira on my system. I've run all 3. Adaware picked up a couple of minor bits. The Avira scan took a full 52 hours(!) to complete but came back clean.

I've done as recommended and looked at the startup schedule through CCleaner and also download Malwarebytes. Skype nor Spotify are listed in there but they boot up every time.

After some research, "Atlauncher.exe is a type of EXE file associated with McAfee Anti-Theft developed by McAfee, Inc". I had a free McAfee trial on my PC that has since expired so this will be that.

Ask Toolbar is now gone.

System Specs:

• Windows 8.1 64x
  • Intel Core i3-2365M CPU @ 1.4Ghz
  • 4gb RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000

Not a great laptop but it's just for basic word processing, spreadsheets and Facebook really.

Thanks,

Paul

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:09 25 Feb 15

make sure Mccafee is removed properly using the removal tool.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…