Windows 8 Google in French

belayer 09:56 23 Oct 13

Since installing Windows 8 I am finding that if I put Google in my address bar it fetches www.google.fr with all the text in French. (I think this happens with other sites too sometimes) have checked all my settings for language and location and they all seem to be UK English.

www.google.uk gets me to the UK site.

Any ideas?

belayer 16:02 23 Oct 13

Difficult to explain when I don't understand the problem myself, but:

If I am in IE and I type www.google.com I get redirected to this instead:

click here is the site it takes me to, and everything is in French. This is a problem if I am on a site that links to Google.com because it means I cannot access Google.com. A friend tried to send me a large powerpoint file via storage on google (which I don't understand), but I couldn't access that because everything on screen is in French.

Is that any better?

That

Woolwell 16:46 23 Oct 13

Are you using the app or IE10 from the desktop?

In IE10 settings - manage add-ons - search providers and check set to Google UK.

belayer 11:25 25 Oct 13

Woolwell, what do you mean by IE settings? Do you mean the little cogwheel thing in the top right corner?

I have tried that but there seems no way of changing, altering or editing anything.

belayer 11:27 25 Oct 13

Google is not on my list of search providers in 'Manage Add-Ons'.

Woolwell 11:50 25 Oct 13

That may well be your problem. Scroll down on iegallery and add Search with Google UK. You will then have to make it your default search engine.

belayer 18:55 26 Oct 13

I know you must think I am stupid, but what is IEGallery?

Woolwell 19:59 26 Oct 13

Sorry it is not obvious but the iegallery in my post is a link to it. The gallery contains add-ons including the search engines.

rdave13 20:02 26 Oct 13

Click on Woolwell 's link (in red). Otherwise in Internet Explorer click on tools, manage add-ons, click on search providers and remove Google.fr, click on the 'find more search providers....' link in blue at the bottom and look for Google uk.

Aldo in tools, internet options,under the general tab make www.google.co.uk your home page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…