Windows 8 £14.99 upgrade won't install

jamie.long951 16:39 PM 23 Nov 12

I'm trying to install Windows 8 Pro on a laptop running 7. As the laptop was recently bought it was eligible for a upgrade for £14.99. I have gone through the compatibility checker and paid for the upgrade. Have got the email from Microsoft along with download link and product code/number.

I have completed the download through the Win8 installer, and I now have options to 'install now' 'install by creating media' or 'install from desktop later'. Whenever I do install now - it 'failed to utilise startup folder' then 'can't find install.exe'

I have also tried burning the ISO image to a DVD and running the installer from the disc - I don't get the 'cant find install.exe' but it still fails to utilise startup folder and then closes.

I have read numerous other posts online with the same problem. I have unistalled my anti virus, and disabled windows firewall - but yet the problem remains, help please!

jamie.long951 12:32 PM 24 Nov 12

Yes using the same version as my system, the upgrade assistant should sort that. I Have tried clean install also, that was my first option. I have also tried Microsoft support, and telephone support - they were about as much use as a chocolate kettle! There is only 1 hard-drive on this laptop.

The frustrating thing is that the upgrade assistant said the upgrade was compatible, so it lead me to believe it didn't download properly - I've re-done it a bunch of times and still no luck. It just won't work & I hate being ripped off.

Chronos the 2nd 14:19 PM 24 Nov 12

Change your user name from your email address you are just inviting a lot of spam.

jamie.long951 14:32 PM 24 Nov 12

Chronos - thanks I don't know how that happened!!

Marg7 - I have burnt the ISO file to a DVD. I have tried to install from the DVD whilst the computer is logged on (from the desktop). How do I boot a DVD from OUTSIDE of windows? Would the DVD I have already created work for this method?

Really appreciate any help and further info you can give me :)

jamie.long951 16:19 PM 24 Nov 12

Many thanks Marg7 - that's done it! Big thumbs up from me!

jamie.long951 12:56 PM 25 Nov 12

Cheers :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Lumia 950 vs Lumia 950 XL: What's the difference between Lumia 950 & 950 XL?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Medium's new logo was designed

iPad Pro vs iPad Air 2 comparison: Which of Apple's flagship iPads is best for you?