Windows 8 32 bit to 64 bit

KevinSilber 21:17 12 Feb 15

I installed the 32 bit version of windows 8 and nbow regret it. Can I easily install the 64 bit version. I have created a separate partition. Can I install the 64 bit version to that and have both available?

BRYNIT 00:13 13 Feb 15

Why do you regret installing Windows 8 32 bit? Unless you have 4 or more gb of memory you will not gain much from installing Windows 8 64 bit.

rdave13 00:36 13 Feb 15

Why have a second partition for the same os?

With Win 8 you can install from within Windows.

If you have an iso file of the 64-bit version on your PC then right click it and select 'mount'. Follow instructions and select upgrade.

Similar with an optical disc or usb drive.

It will leave you with a Windows. Old folder after 'upgrading' that will take a lot of GB's. Leave it for a while in case you need some data off it.

To remove the Windows. Old folder run disk-cleanup as admin found in Admin tools in Control panel.

lotvic 12:56 13 Feb 15

rdave13, not sure you can do that. To change from 32bit to 64bit you have to do a clean install. It says on MS site ClickHere

Can I update from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1?

If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a clean installation. You won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you update from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.

I don't have an answer for the OP about installing both on separate partitions on a harddrive. Don't know if you can do that or not.

rdave13 18:36 13 Feb 15

Lotvic, I stand corrected. Apologies to KevinSilber.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009