Windows 7 and XP Dual Booting

penholder 20:17 18 Nov 10

I have XP and considering having a dual booting system. I'm a bit confused as to whether I need an upgrade version of Windows 7 or a "full version," since they will be on different drives. I'm further confused having read that when up upgrading from XP to W7 using upgrade software, its necessary to do a clean install. Isn't a clean install the same as installing from scratch and therefor a full version of W7 is required?

a member 21:51 18 Nov 10

no one as far as I know has successfully upgraded from XP to 7, Microsoft recognises this and have a good tutorial click here
there is a video guide and a pdf tutorial there .
the upgrade disc will do a full install to just choose custom during install and choose what drive you want to install on and your away .

GaT7 14:34 19 Nov 10

For dual-booting XP & Win7 you'll need the full, non-upgrade version (OEM or retail). click here for confirmation.

As merlinx says, an upgrade version can be used to do a clean install (or install from scratch), but you'll either need the previous OS to be installed on the drive OR do a registry edit (as detailed at click here). G

rdave13 00:48 20 Nov 10

Couple of links to study;
click here

click here

john bunyan 19:23 20 Nov 10

About a year ago I did have a dual boot XP and W7. It was a hassle in that I regularly do clones and images using ATI - took twice as long. Also I seem to remember booting XP destroyed W7 restore points. After a couple of weeks I ditched XP and if I knew then what I know now I would not have bothered!

GaT7 19:33 20 Nov 10

"Also I seem to remember booting XP destroyed W7 restore points."

There are possible fixes for this at click here or click here (latter mentions Vista, but will also work with Win7). G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant