Windows 7 is very reluctant to start

dikul 10:42 29 Jun 13
Answered

Windows is driving me crazy! It will start up normally (but slowly) sometimes; at other times it asks to do a start up repair, which it then cannot complete, but then will start normally the next time. If , for example, an update to a program, or an uninstall requests a restart, it. Will rarely do one without the attendant problems noted above. This all seems todate from a trial installation of Tune up Utilities (will I never learn?). Any suggestions gratefully received. Mike

dikul 15:37 29 Jun 13

Thanks, ..Jock1e. I did actually uninstall Tune up, so I will try it again - I can' t make things much worse! I'll keep you posted. Mike

dikul 22:11 29 Jun 13

Well that was interesting ... Or not. Sfc scannow could not complete due to corrupt files. Retrying Tuneup utilities did nothing. So i tried using the Windows DVD to do a repair install, and it failed because Windows cannot be installed on my hardware configuration. At least it rolled back the installation so at least I have a wounded working system. So now I think it will be a format and clean install. Mike

rdave13 00:36 30 Jun 13

Boot to safe mode and use system restore to before you installed the rubbish Tune-Up. Never use supposedly 'optimizing' programs with Windows.

The only program I can recommend is Ccleaner that will remove temp, cashe and useless registry files.

dikul 11:01 30 Jun 13

rdave and Jock1e, I tried booting into safe mode, but it just would not play the game; and, once I had managed to start Windows I found no system recovery points. I did, however find a System Recovery Disk (I must have made this when I first had the computer and put it somewhere safe and unmemorable! I have managed to boot from this and it did report damaged start up files and asked if I wanted to repir them. I hope this has done the trick. Thanks for your help. Mike

dikul 10:50 03 Jul 13
Answer

Well I am touching wood as I say this. Windows is now loading normally. I have an external Buffalo HDD for backup. Somehow, after 2 yars of faultless performance, this drive was been accessed as a bootable device (it most certainly is not!) - but not everytime, and not because of changes to the BIOS (this still shows my 2 internal HDDs and DVD/CD Drive as the boot devices). The first clue about this was in the Startup repair log which showed this drive as an unrecognised configuration change.

Anyway, it has been disconnected for 2 days and Windows has behaved itself in that time.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac