windows 7 upgrade offered by Acer

M@rk 14:23 PM 22 Oct 09

Install at your own risk.

Acer web site says

Q. Can I install a version of an operating system that did not ship with the system?

A. We cannot recommend or support the installation of an operating system other than that shipped on the system.
Support is available only for the shipping operating system.

I along with probably many others bought a new machine because of the upgrade. and only now do I find out they will give you the upgrade but not support it.

How despicable.

I think that's mainly meant to apply to people installing Linux or wanting to downgrade from Vista to XP.

Since the upgrade is to be supplied by Acer themselves, it will be supported. However I would HIGHLY recommend that you create your recovery discs first, just incase they're needed.

M@rk 16:00 PM 22 Oct 09

The information was on their own website so i tend to believe them, but thanks for the advice on backups.

mooly 08:16 AM 27 Oct 09

2.5 years ago when Acer shipped their Vista upgrade kit consisting of a Vista disk and an Acer DVD with all the patches and drivers the Microsoft badged disk (I have a copy !) says imprinted on it "support for this product is provided by Acer"
On a couple of occasions when I did email Acer for support/advice because there WERE issues, they always denied any liability and the answer to any issue was to buy recovery disks (xp).

As many will agree... Acer products are pretty good generally, but the support very poor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Toshiba dynaPad release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro 4 rival with Windows 10

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November