Windows 7 Upgrade - licence

xania 08:52 AM 28 Sep 11

I am about to upgrade my PC to Windows 7 but, as a temporary measure while completing the migration, will be running a dual boot system with my existing Windows XP Pro system. I planned to take advantage of the family upgrade offer for 3 of my 4 PC's but, does anyone know where I can find out if the upgrade licence allows me to run both XP Pro and Windows 7 on the same PC?

L'Shona Tovah to all my Jewish colleagues

gengiscant 09:33 AM 28 Sep 11

Will not the upgrade version of Windows 7 overwrite the XP Pro?

You could I suppose upgrade to Windows 7 then reinstall XP as a dual boot, but I have a feeling thats not what you want to do.

xania 11:04 AM 28 Sep 11

No - you set up a new partition and install Windows 7 in this - then you work with both until ready to delete XP Pro.

xania 11:05 AM 28 Sep 11
  gengiscant 12:19 PM 28 Sep 11

In that case yes is the answer, as XP will have its own license number, as will Windows 7. I cannot see any reason why you cannot do it. In fact I shall be doing it myself shortly when I build a PC for a friend, he is looking for a dual boot so that he can get to grips with 7 but still have XP whilst he is doing so.He owns both XP and Windows 7 so it did not even occur to that there could be a problem.

xania 14:17 PM 28 Sep 11

The problem is that the Windows 7 licence incorporated the XP licence so you cannot run each on a separate PC (or sell off the XP licence). However, I need to be sure that running both on the SAME PC does not infringe the mutual licence.

gengiscant 14:46 PM 28 Sep 11

Are I see,his Windows 7 is a standalone not an upgrade.

Simplest way to find out is to call this support number 0844 800 2400 A bit more info here: Microsoft support

BRYNIT 09:40 AM 29 Sep 11

For the past year I have had my original Vista and win7 upgrade on separate partition with had no problems.

Your Win XP and Win 7 upgrade will be tied to your computer. As you have paid for both and each will have its own activation number I have found nothing to say you cannot use both.

If you think about it you will only be using one at a time. Nothing can stop you from uninstalling win7 to go back to XP or vice versa. Having them on separate partitions/drive saves time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…