Windows 7 Student Install Question

dharma24 16:59 PM 18 Oct 09

Hi,

I'm currently studying e course at university and my old PC has died. I'm going to purchase a new one next week (Windows 7 compatible) however it has no OS installed.

So i was wondering if i purchased Windows 7 via the student website, would i have to carry out a clean/custom install? Or do i need a copy of XP/Vista already running on my NEW pc.

Thank You

Forum Editor 23:22 PM 18 Oct 09

to be installed prior to the Windows 7 installation. Just go into the BIOS and set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device. Then put the Windows 7 DVD in the drive, shut down your laptop and restart it.

The computer will boot into the DVD and the installer will start automatically - just follow the prompts.

dharma24 03:52 AM 19 Oct 09

Thanks for the reply, i just don't want to waste my money if it's an upgrade version. I can also opt for the Professional version with the disc.

I also asked this on the Windows 7 Answers site, and got this reply:

[url=click here]Windows 7 Student Offer Install Question[/url]

[I]"In order to install the upgrade version of Windows 7, you must have a qualifying Windows operating system installed and activated. You cannot install an upgrade version of Windows 7 on a blank hard drive. The installation procedure does not ask you to insert a Windows disc in the drive for verification, the actual qualifying operating system must be installed. If you do not have a qualifying Windows operating system installed with a genuine license activated, then you cannot use
the upgrade version of Windows 7 - you would need a "full version" Windows 7 license.

In summary:

1. A qualifying Windows operating system must be installed.
2. The qualifying Windows operating system must have a genuine license (product key) and it must be activated.
3. To upgrade, boot to the qualifying Windows desktop, insert the Windows 7 Upgrade disc in the DVD drive.
4. When the setup menu appears, select Custom (advanced) to initiate a clean install procedure."[/I]

nigel-mercier 18:47 PM 20 Oct 09

>In order to install the upgrade version of Windows 7, you must have a qualifying Windows operating system installed and activated.

This is BS, you can use an upgrade SKU to do a clean install. Just don't activate it when prompted, then re-install as an "upgrade" then activate.

dharma24 22:50 PM 20 Oct 09

Thanks for the reply, what exactly do you mean by "SKU"

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Moto G 2015 confirmed: Motorola Moto G UK release date, price and specification details - New…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries lined up for dConstruct

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay