Windows 7 startup failure

David Woods 10:08 AM 16 Feb 12

Windows 7 boots as normal to "Starting Windows" with MS icon but then goes blank. F8 and "Starting Windows normally" does not work. F8 into Boot Menu with a Windows 7 recovery disk in the drive reads it briefly but does not recognise it. If I can get beyond this stage I have a system image on a connected hard drive. Any suggestions?

difarn 12:46 PM 16 Feb 12

Sometimes the F8 is very sensitive - were you lightly tapping it after you had started the PC?

When you tried to run with the recovery disc did you..

Insert the cd/dvd in the cd/dvd drive.

Power OFF your computer.

Power On you computer.

Immediately start tapping the F12 key.

David Woods 13:46 PM 16 Feb 12

Thanks difarn for your suggestions. In fact I have now placed my Windows7 Repair Disk in the Primary optical drive instead of the slave one. As a result the disk has been read and Restore from System Image activated. After a couple of hours loading the system image my computer starts up normally. Shows how useful having a System Repair Disk and a System Image on a separate hard drive can be. Thanks again.

difarn 08:06 AM 17 Feb 12

Glad you have it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

#AdventSauceJoyMince - generate a gratuitous Christmas tweet for #GivingTuesday charity

New MacBook Air release date, specs and rumours: 11in MacBook Air to be discontinued