Windows 7 startup failure

David Woods 10:08 AM 16 Feb 12

Windows 7 boots as normal to "Starting Windows" with MS icon but then goes blank. F8 and "Starting Windows normally" does not work. F8 into Boot Menu with a Windows 7 recovery disk in the drive reads it briefly but does not recognise it. If I can get beyond this stage I have a system image on a connected hard drive. Any suggestions?

difarn 12:46 PM 16 Feb 12

Sometimes the F8 is very sensitive - were you lightly tapping it after you had started the PC?

When you tried to run with the recovery disc did you..

Insert the cd/dvd in the cd/dvd drive.

Power OFF your computer.

Power On you computer.

Immediately start tapping the F12 key.

David Woods 13:46 PM 16 Feb 12

Thanks difarn for your suggestions. In fact I have now placed my Windows7 Repair Disk in the Primary optical drive instead of the slave one. As a result the disk has been read and Restore from System Image activated. After a couple of hours loading the system image my computer starts up normally. Shows how useful having a System Repair Disk and a System Image on a separate hard drive can be. Thanks again.

difarn 08:06 AM 17 Feb 12

Glad you have it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

ZAK releases more videos showing what happens if you ask other professions to work for free

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know