Windows 7 problem

Thereferee21 11:49 AM 28 Jan 13
Answered

I am being told my Windows 7 is not genuine. How do put this right?

tullie 12:36 PM 28 Jan 13

Is it genuine?

lotvic 12:46 PM 28 Jan 13

How long have you had it? Did you buy it and install it yourself? OEM or Retail W7? is it Activated? Does it fail Validation?

a lot more detail is needed.

Thereferee21 13:13 PM 28 Jan 13

It was purchased in Jan 2012 preinstalled on an Acer Aspire laptop from John Lewis online. It has been working well until a week ago when it says in the bottom right hand corner of my screen it is not a genuine Windows 7. programme, and it keeps asking for my validation key

Cheers

Ian

lotvic 13:35 PM 28 Jan 13
Answer

Are you sure it says validation key? I thought that was only needed when you use the Download Centre, and then you have to validate and they give you a code to enter before you can download anything. Like this

I think best thing to do is to Validate your copy of W7 here's a link to a page with link to do online validation

xania 13:42 PM 28 Jan 13

There's loads on the web about this problem i.e.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows7-windowsinstall/windows-suddenly-reports-my-copy-of-windows-is-not/a27d3511-7cd3-4b02-92de-4f4301662521

I reckon that you first port of call be to contact Microsoft phone validation service to see if that sorts out the problem - failing that, a call to John Lewis should get you back to normal.

xania 13:44 PM 28 Jan 13
  xania 17:23 PM 28 Jan 13

Hey Jock1e

Its not Office that's the problem, its Windows, and if Windows is pre-installed it should be the real thing.

lotvic 17:51 PM 28 Jan 13

Hey xania

maybe Jock1e meant to put that post on other thread, see Thread in Helproom about 'lost my activation key' http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4205217/microsoft-office-2010-professional/

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED