Windows 7 problem

Thereferee21 28 Jan 13
Answered

I am being told my Windows 7 is not genuine. How do put this right?

tullie 28 Jan 13

Is it genuine?

lotvic 28 Jan 13

How long have you had it? Did you buy it and install it yourself? OEM or Retail W7? is it Activated? Does it fail Validation?

a lot more detail is needed.

Thereferee21 28 Jan 13

It was purchased in Jan 2012 preinstalled on an Acer Aspire laptop from John Lewis online. It has been working well until a week ago when it says in the bottom right hand corner of my screen it is not a genuine Windows 7. programme, and it keeps asking for my validation key

Cheers

Ian

lotvic 28 Jan 13
Answer

Are you sure it says validation key? I thought that was only needed when you use the Download Centre, and then you have to validate and they give you a code to enter before you can download anything. Like this

I think best thing to do is to Validate your copy of W7 here's a link to a page with link to do online validation

xania 28 Jan 13

There's loads on the web about this problem i.e.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows7-windowsinstall/windows-suddenly-reports-my-copy-of-windows-is-not/a27d3511-7cd3-4b02-92de-4f4301662521

I reckon that you first port of call be to contact Microsoft phone validation service to see if that sorts out the problem - failing that, a call to John Lewis should get you back to normal.

xania 28 Jan 13
  xania 28 Jan 13

Hey Jock1e

Its not Office that's the problem, its Windows, and if Windows is pre-installed it should be the real thing.

lotvic 28 Jan 13

Hey xania

maybe Jock1e meant to put that post on other thread, see Thread in Helproom about 'lost my activation key' http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4205217/microsoft-office-2010-professional/

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message