Windows 7 permissions

kimtrnc 13:44 PM 17 Dec 09

I am the sole user of my PC. I am an administrator. & will not allow me to change a pssword file. Any ideas, please?

TIA

( I will get to love 7, I will get to love 7, I WILL get to love 7)

BurrWalnut 14:25 PM 17 Dec 09

I don’t know what you mean by ‘Password’ file but try taking ownership by right-clicking the folder, select Properties > Security Tab > Advanced at the bottom > Owner Tab > Edit > Highlight your username and put a tick in ‘Replace owner on subcontainers…’ and Apply > OK. You will only have the ‘Replace owner on subcontainers…’ box for folders not files. Click Yes when you receive the Security pop-up window then click OK to the Close/Reopen message. Make a note of the previous owner in case you want to change it back.

Now go back to the Properties > Security Tab. Click Edit > Add. Type in your User Account Name in the box under Enter the objects name to select. Click on Check Names > OK. Click on your User Account Name to highlight it. Check the box for Full Control > Apply and OK etc.

kimtrnc 15:19 PM 17 Dec 09

Thankyou Burr - I will try those carefully made instructions. The particular password file belongs to an open source vpn program which lives in the Config file and saves me having to login everytime I use the program.
Will report back if/when your clever instructions succeed.

kimtrnc 15:20 PM 17 Dec 09

Thankyou Burr - I will try those carefully made instructions. The particular password file belongs to an open source vpn program which lives in the Config file and saves me having to login everytime I use the program.
Will report back if/when your clever instructions succeed.

Technocrate 10:41 AM 22 Apr 10

Microsoft support engineers cannot help you retrieve passwords of files and features in Microsoft products that are lost or forgotten

For more information regarding lost passwords please visit the Knowledge Base Article below:
click here

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…