Windows 7 not genuine?

rickf 15:59 PM 30 Aug 12

I have been using windows 7 ultimate for about 2 years. It validated Ok on installation then. Why am I suddenly getting the message " This copy Windows is not genuine" after installing updates yesterday on booting up?? Can anyone shed some light on this. I am loathed to have to install windows again. MS stinks. Any help appreciated

KRONOS the First 17:08 PM 30 Aug 12

Unfortunately this is not an uncommon problem. Have a look here.

ams4127 23:35 PM 30 Aug 12

Just out of interest, I clicked on that link and Malwarebytes lit up with a warning.

Have you had the same?

KRONOS the First 06:06 AM 31 Aug 12

Certainly did not and this is a site I use regularly. One should not expect security programs are infallible,they have yet to be invented, one should always use a little common sense in these cases.But of course you can just Google activation problems and choose another site. As I said it is a common problem and there is plenty of info out there.:-)

rickf 09:22 AM 31 Aug 12

Hi Chronus, Thanks for your input. I tried what was suggested and it has not worked. Still saying that my copy is not genuine. I shall persist looking for a solution as I belive my copy is genuine even though not bought from MS direct!

KRONOS the First 10:22 AM 31 Aug 12

Try this.

You can reactivate your Windows 7 installation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in: slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

rickf 14:53 PM 07 Sep 12

Not being able to resolve the issue I have bought a new OS. But I am not allowing update and installation of KB 970133, I believe it is. Just unchecked it w/in a batch of new updates. I do feel aggrieved as I believe my copy of wins 7 was genuine.

KRONOS the First 15:00 PM 07 Sep 12

I am puzzled as to why you bought a new copy as a phone call to Microsoft would have sorted it failing any other means.

rickf 15:40 PM 07 Sep 12

Was like talking to a brick wall with them believing their system was infallible. Like trying to convince God he/she could be wrong.

KRONOS the First 16:37 PM 07 Sep 12

Sorry to hear that, I have never had any problems even when I had a highly suspect copy of XP.

HardyAlex 11:38 AM 10 Sep 12

I also had a similar response with my system. Have tried a lot of ways to get the condition back. but it get worse as days pass on. Even my desktop went black and is not showing a single wallpaper. The popup window appears each and every minute. I am just tired up due to that. Then I contacted a computer service center near my city(Toronto). They told that either i should insert a valid product key or should reinstall the OS. I took the second option and turned the windows updates off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know