Windows 7 network / Users

maanse 21:38 PM 04 Dec 12

Hi Guys,

I have just set up a small windows 7 network in an office and i seem to have come across a slight problem after a configuration change was requested by the office manager. Basically what i want to be able to do is centrally manage all users from one PC, So that the users only have to be created once, not once on each machine. I understand this is probably a Windows Server situation but don't really want to go to that expense purely for centralising users.

Are there any other ways around my problem?

mgmcc 11:08 AM 05 Dec 12

If you are not running server software, i.e. have a Client/Server network, then you are running a "peer-to-peer" network. This is the type of network used by home users and every computer in the network has an equal status; there is no particular computer having overall control of the network.

"So that the users only have to be created once, not once on each machine"

I don't understand what you mean by creating users ???

jamieamunra 17:17 PM 10 Dec 12

Hey Maanse, you need Active directory to be able to centrally manage users and computers. You can install a Server 2003, 2008 , 2008 R2, 2012 or a small business server. You will not be able to do it in a peer to peer setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know