windows 7 on netbooks

joesharp1 09:57 AM 02 Dec 11

Does Windows 7 speech recognition work on netbooks?

difarn 10:33 AM 02 Dec 11

Yes, if it is installed then it is available. Have a look at this link

joesharp1 10:49 AM 02 Dec 11

Thanks ! Looks like RAM size is critical here?

difarn 12:47 PM 02 Dec 11

Yes but if it is installed on your netbook it should be ok. Have a look at this video link and have a go (I must admit I haven't set mine up yet but am tempted to have a go now).

joesharp1 11:50 AM 05 Dec 11

Thanks - that's really helpful. I'm looking at assistive technology for use in a secondary school. Ipads and smart phones and Kindles look attractive - but as it a Windows environment without Wifi (yes, I know!)- netbooks seem a better all-round option, without so many of the student distractions/control issues - especially as Windows 7 offers speech recognition that works as well if not better than Dragon.

difarn 14:22 PM 05 Dec 11

At my school a trolley of wifi laptops was purchased with it's own router. They were very well used but of course absolutely insufficient as each subject teacher wants the facility to use PC's most lessons. How lovely it would have been to have had a set of re-conditioned laptops in every classroom and every corridor to have had it's own server/wifi router. Also a huge amount was wasted on licences for Microsoft Office when free Open Office could have been an alternative and the money spent on more equipment.

Best of luck with smart phones, kindles and ipads - hope they stand up to "little hands".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016