Windows 7 installation - triple boot

avesnes1 21:10 PM 03 Nov 09

Currently I have XP on partition C of internal disk 0 and Vista on partition D of internal disk 1. I have created a new partition (W) on disk 1 and I plan to install Windows 7 into that new partition.

Could I install from within XP or Vista or should I install by booting from the Windows 7 Home Premium disk?

Thanks in advance for any comment/guidance from members.

Zeppelyn 23:16 PM 03 Nov 09

Either method is ok, be sure to select custom install although I guess you already know that.

weistar 02:34 AM 04 Nov 09

As I see, it is a waste of disk space to install Windows7 and Vista in a PC. The former is better. Just Windows7 and XP are OK.

john bunyan 11:09 AM 04 Nov 09

You have forgotten a quadruple boot (add Windows 98SE)!! I can quite unerstand keeping XP and W7 for a while, but after checking that everything works in the new system, why keep it active? I am about to change to W7 from XP and am debating 3 options:a to make a clone of my C: drive to a spare external drive so I could revert in a doomsday scenario,b: a dual boot as you suggest with XP and W7, or c: with W7 Ultimate to invoke the XP emulation and virtual disc it offers.In any event if, hopefully, w7 works ok I will move on and abandon the old system, which I was loathe to do with Vista, which I never bought.

avesnes1 20:56 PM 04 Nov 09

Just to fibish off this thread - I booted from the W7 32bit disk and did a custom install into my newly created partition. I then used EasyBCD 2.0 beta to tidy up the boot screen ("Previous version of windows" and the default) and touch wood it all seems to be working OK.

avesnes1 20:57 PM 04 Nov 09

oops! everything except my typing - fibish = finish

avesnes1 21:06 PM 04 Nov 09

I'm a bit confused regarding which free products are compatible with Windows 7. I'd be grateful if members could elucidate the current wisdom on this aspect.

Thanks in advance for any comment/guidance.

avesnes1 21:07 PM 04 Nov 09

Apologies but i should have started a new thread.

john bunyan 22:14 PM 04 Nov 09

I am going to use MS Security Essentials (anti virus) when I switch to W7, having read a number of comments re AVG on these forums. Some say MAB still works. I think CCleaner is ok, and I have always used the normal MS Defragmenter.I also believe the built in W7 Firewall seems fine.

john bunyan 22:16 PM 04 Nov 09

See Mike's and other comments on this thread:
click here

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…