Windows 7 Home Premium Control Console

Wiganken1 20:41 24 Nov 14

I am setting up 8 stand-alone (there is no server) public access PCs with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS in our local community centre. It is a registered charity and I do the work on a volunteer basis and the charity can't afford to pay for expensive software. I need to set up each PC so that the public can use the PCs but can't make changes to them. Except for the Admin account (Me) I wish to disable features like "Control Panel" and Windows Explorer/ Folder Options" to the general public users. Windows does not provide these controls so, in the same way that Doug Knox (click here ) developed a "Windows® XP Security Console" for Windows XP is there a similar program written for Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1 which I can use? Web search delivers zero hits. Hope you can help. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:03 24 Nov 14

Computer Management compmgmt.msc

Contains a number of snap-ins for managing various aspects of Windows 7. You can examine hidden and visible shared folders, set group policies, access Device Manager, manage hard disks, and much more.

Peter 01:16 25 Nov 14

Wiganken1,

Once you have got the computers set up the way you want I would suggest taking an Image of the hard drive, so that when some individual finds his, or her, way round your security and tries to delete large chunks of your hard drive, you will have an easy way to restore the hard drive.

You will also need to take regular Images so that you will not need to repeat all the Microsoft Updates each time you restore an Image file.

If all your machines are IDENTICAL you MAY be able to get away with just Imaging one machine, but if there are any differences between the machines, however slight, this may not be possible.

Hope this helps, Peter.

BRYNIT 08:43 25 Nov 14

Instructions on how to disable Control panel CLICK HERE

Doing a search on Reset a Computer Back to a Clean State Each Time It Boots may give you some ideas.

CLICK HERE This is one idea. I think it's free but the program leaves an icon on the task bar which you would have to prevent from showing.

Wiganken1 20:09 25 Nov 14

Remember that the OS on these PCs is not the Professional version. It is the Home Premium version. I don't think that suggestions from Fruit Bat and Beta apply to this version. I'll look into Brynit suggestions and I am still open to any more ideas. Thanks to all. Will update when able.

Woolwell 20:31 25 Nov 14

Have you considered Guest or Restricted access accounts?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…