Windows 7 Hangs on Shutdown

masterkeaton1000 22:37 13 Nov 12

Hey all,

I have a problem with my laptop (A Sony Vaio VPCEB4J0E)

Basically, whenever I tell it to shut down, it doesn't actually do so and only closes Windows explorer so I'm left looking at my desktop whilst nothing happens.

Virus/Malware scans reveal no problems.

Anybody else experience a problem like this?

lotvic 23:06 13 Nov 12

You should close Windows Explorer and any other programs you have open before you shut down W7.

http://windows.about.com/od/windowsforbeginners/a/Win7ShutDownOptions.htm explains the various shut down options on W7

jamieamunra 09:22 14 Nov 12

Did you try shutting down from the command prompt? just click start then type Cmd now type shutdown -s -t 0

Also this could be a driver issue that keeps Windows from shutting down. Make sure you update your drivers and I would Check the graphics card drivers first. Do you have an ATI card?

masterkeaton1000 17:13 14 Nov 12

I checked Windows Update today and found 20 important updates to install.

I don't have a graphics card in my laptop, they're integrated.

P_Mabb2012 04:40 29 Nov 12

I had a similar problem when I first went from XP to windows 7.

In my case it turned out that Tascam didn't have a driver upgrade for a USB soundcard I had of theirs.

They told me they had no intention of rewriting a new driver and my 'solution' was to unplug the soundcard prior to shutdown ...... good of them eh ?

I now have a new soundcard.

Anyway, long and short is it's almost certainly a driver issue.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Honor 5X review: Hands-on with the new budget phone from Hauwei's young brand

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

You can now publish data visualisations to the web from Power BI

Complete guide to Apple's campus 2, everything we know about the new spaceship HQ, plus: new drone…