Windows 7 Hangs on Shutdown

masterkeaton1000 22:37 PM 13 Nov 12

Hey all,

I have a problem with my laptop (A Sony Vaio VPCEB4J0E)

Basically, whenever I tell it to shut down, it doesn't actually do so and only closes Windows explorer so I'm left looking at my desktop whilst nothing happens.

Virus/Malware scans reveal no problems.

Anybody else experience a problem like this?

lotvic 23:06 PM 13 Nov 12

You should close Windows Explorer and any other programs you have open before you shut down W7.

http://windows.about.com/od/windowsforbeginners/a/Win7ShutDownOptions.htm explains the various shut down options on W7

jamieamunra 09:22 AM 14 Nov 12

Did you try shutting down from the command prompt? just click start then type Cmd now type shutdown -s -t 0

Also this could be a driver issue that keeps Windows from shutting down. Make sure you update your drivers and I would Check the graphics card drivers first. Do you have an ATI card?

masterkeaton1000 17:13 PM 14 Nov 12

I checked Windows Update today and found 20 important updates to install.

I don't have a graphics card in my laptop, they're integrated.

P_Mabb2012 04:40 AM 29 Nov 12

I had a similar problem when I first went from XP to windows 7.

In my case it turned out that Tascam didn't have a driver upgrade for a USB soundcard I had of theirs.

They told me they had no intention of rewriting a new driver and my 'solution' was to unplug the soundcard prior to shutdown ...... good of them eh ?

I now have a new soundcard.

Anyway, long and short is it's almost certainly a driver issue.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites