Windows 7 Full vs Upgrade

RobCharles1981 20:06 14 Jul 10

I'm looking at upgrading to windows 7 And I'm a student so I know where to go shopping! I'm running Xp x64bit sp2 and I'm wondering what the diference is in the full and the upgrade? Will I be able to a "format" in the upgrade version?

Thanks for looking

Rob

chub_tor 09:17 15 Jul 10

If you are changing from XP to Win7 you will need to do a new installation that will wipe your data (but keep it available in a folder called Winold). You will lose all your installed programmes. click here is a good guide on how to do it.

As you have XP already installed you can use the Upgrade version of Win7, it is cheaper. You only need the full version if you plan to completely format your existing drive, thus eliminating the presence of the old XP OS. If you did that using the upgrade version it won't easily work as it looks for a previous Microsoft OS when it first starts.

961 14:33 15 Jul 10

My daughter (who is also a student) has just used an upgrade version to go from Windows XP to Windows 7 Professional

click here

What she did was to use the method suggested by Microsoft which was basically to move her files to a usb memory stick and then the upgrade disk did a clean install

You need the installation disks for any software you want to continue to use

The install went without a hitch and took about an hour

I should mention that she had 32 bit XP and has retained Windows 7 32 bit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5