windows 7 freezes, stuck on safe mode

buumon 01:36 28 Dec 14

its bad enough that I'm going to get a new computer...but I have to wait till next month.

basically windows seven has been freezing for a couple months now. Not to much and it unfreezes. But I've been unable to fix it. I've tried registery clean up, virus scan, spybot and stuff like that scan, uninstalling programs, checking drivers, resiting the bos thing to default settings, everything like that. But NOTHING stopped it. And then it got so bad that I could no longer even USE my computer in normal mode, it would freeze up and not unfreeze until I was forced to unplug it. I tried to reinstall windows...only to find that did nothing. Even with next to no programs on it, it still froze, as soon as windows logged me on and won't unfreeze... I'm guessing its something to do with the inside of the machine now...but I'm just so confused. Why on earth does safe mode still work?

ok stats are this (tell me if I miss anything, I'm not exac tech savy)

processer - intel(r)celeron(r) cpu 2.80 ghz 2.79 ghz ram: 2.00gb system type .32 bit windows 7 home premium

had it for a few years but never used it till year and a half ago. (it was protected when not in use)

any help - appreciated. and forgive if my typing poor. my knuckle is badly bruised or something. typing is hard.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:46 28 Dec 14

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

5. driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

buumon 23:47 28 Dec 14

ran all those. nothing.

no errors in memory

I have no idea how to see if fans are working

have latest drivers

ty for the suggestions though

buumon 06:02 29 Dec 14

Yikes, I'm sorry. scrolling down is twitchy so I utterly missed Jock's post. And my first post of today was short. sorry ^^'

device manager has no !. I rechecked again to make sure. Faulty hard drive, hmm, could that happen over time and not right away? Its worked for a year and a half, though to be honest it has done odd things before the freezing started. (thinking) I always thought the small glitches was due to me trying to run a really old version of paint shop.

I've run one of those before, I'll try again though.

also opened up the machine (did not touch anything) but there was only a itty bit of dust, no mounds of dust or cat hair. I spray it with the air stuff a lot. and the fan must still be working because my computer still sounds the same as it always did.

buumon 08:59 29 Dec 14

(sorry for posting three in a roll, I can't see any edit button)

I figured out the problem is a power related problem..I found the event viewer and lots of warnings and errors...and when I looked them all up, every single one is because of the power.

I've checked surge protector, outlet, inside (as far as I could to see if anything was loose) and even tried a different power cord. Nothing. So I guess its the power box, the mother board or the hard drive.... which means costly repairs or a new one. ^^'''

thanks for trying to help all, though. it was helpful, it helped me to finish ruling out anything to do with software, viruses, corrupt files, errors and stuff like that. But hardware...now that's beyond my power to fix, alas. I'm not sure if I should go with repairs or a new one..but I've had bad luck with repairs so the latter. Thank goodness Tiger direct exists for low priced machines. I also think a upgrade to professional and 64 bit would be better then home and 32 from the stuff I read (that I actually understood)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:15 29 Dec 14

If your sure its power then you could fit a bigger wattage PSU fairly cheaply.

Not that difficult to change - a few screws but lots of cables :0) - take some photos of how its connected now before changing the PSU.

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.

2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.

3. The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.

Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.

MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.

Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here Power supply calculator click here Correct connections Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU click here and compaq PSU problems guide click here

2. 3. http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYPSU.htm

HP

buumon 01:22 30 Dec 14

ty for the info fruit, but if I tried that myself I'd probably make things worse. ^^' and I honestly have no idea if thats the only problem or if there is more problems. For all I know this whole mess screwed up the hard drive or motherboard. way to many forced shutdowns.

so that just leaves me with repair or new. probably both. Probably will get a different computer when I can and give this one to my mom who's without a computer. she can take it in and see how much it costs to check it out n repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009