Windows 7 Control Panel links & apnns not working

jgd 20:31 27 Jan 11

I have an Acer 5741 running W7, all ok until few days ago.

Now disc seems to be always busy doing something, and all actions slower and the ‘busy’ rotating circle is often displayed.

Control Panel opens but most CP links do not now respond eg View devices, uninstall a program.

Some applications briefly open (via their desktop shortcut) but then their window auto closes and they disappear, eg Open Office, firefox, IE8, Fastone (with mssg ‘has stopped working’), Advanced System Care (ditto), FinePix (ditto). These appns do not appear in Task Manager either.

Have tried access via wifi and direct connect but same results and even tried Firefox in Safe mode.

Other appns are still however ok eg Adobe, Avast, Task Mgr, Crap Cleaner, Threatfire, Free Commander, Photocopier, Windows Defender.

I have rolled back W7 to before when problem started but no improvement.

It seems to me that it’s a W7 problem rather than the appns, (or a virus, but have scanned with Avast, WD & threatfire) but not sure what to do next .. suggestions much appreciated! ,

Thanks, John
PS This post via my old W98 pc!

rdave13 21:13 27 Jan 11

First thing I'd try with Avast is to run a boot-time scan. Open Avast and on the left, click on 'scan computer'. Click on 'boot-time scan' and click the tab to schedule now.Reboot. This might take some time and you need to be present to quarantine what it finds. It will not remove or quarantine automatically.

ams4127 22:44 27 Jan 11

Try going to the Startup tab in Msconfig and unticking everything except Microsoft/Windows programmes.

Restart and see if that helps. If it does, then you can enable them again - one by one - until you find the one which is causing the slowdown.

sunnystaines 08:28 28 Jan 11

have you tried SFC RUNNOW

jgd 20:49 28 Jan 11

Hi rdave13 ..

Thanks for the tip, I had not tried the Avast boot scan before. It chuffed through in about an hour but did not find any infected files.

I guess I still have a gut feel that its a windows setting which may be a problem so will now take the msconfig tip from ams4127 and try that. I had been trying a few things listed in Yarnold's W7 Tips & techniques and maybe I have screwed something up!

Thanks again anyway and if any more thoughts I'm all ears.

Cheers, John

rdave13 21:01 28 Jan 11

As sunnystaines, try running the system file checker;
click here

jgd 20:49 03 Feb 11

Hello ams4127..

Tried your msconfig approach but no improvement i' afraid, some apps still won't run including Firefox, Opera, Open Office, IE8.

On the brighter side, Control Panel now seems ok in the main.

Hello sunnystaines..

Have tried SFC but it it falls into the non-running category .. just a brief dark dialog box on the screen which disappears in about 0.5 of a second.

Things I have tried are:
Linked directly to router to ensure not a wireless problem.
Restored the W7 environment to before the problems started.
Run Avast boot scan & full scan. (NB Avast is still auto updating ok.)
Temporarily disabled the firewall to try the appns.
Used Troubleshooter > Problem Step Recorder> remote Assistance request which advised ’Firewall is blocking’ and autofixed. Firefox then worked temporarily.
Removed Mcafee IS which was a freeby with Acer and I now use just Avast , Wdws Firewall & Threatfire, with addnl spyware scanning via Malwarebytes Windows defender
Uninstalled Firefox and re-installed from saved setup file
Removed W features: Games, Gadgets
Looked at Action Centre Reliability and indeed saw items were logged as ‘stopped working’ but no solutions were found. Some items I did not recognize eg PMMdata Mgr, Ysupport, and also Threatfire WSC interface came up a few times despite this apparently working.
Used msconfig to set normal start ie all svcs, startups etc

Any other thoughts welcome!

Thanks, John

rdave13 09:06 04 Feb 11

Wondering if McAfee hasn't been removed properly as you'll need to use the removal tool (step 2); click here
Also have a look in task manager to see what's using your CPU. Tick the box 'show processes for all users'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac