Windows 10 System Recovery folder growing

chapelle 06:19 19 Sep 15

Windows 10 has a System Recovery folder on the C: drive. It started at about 10GB when I first upgraded to Windows 10 and has been growing daily by 4 backup files. It is currently at 35GB and I have found no Windows Security/Recovery settings that can limit the growth of this system file. Does anyone know how to delete or limit the size of this folder? The backups in this folder are separate and unique from the periodic recovery images stored in the System Volume Information folder and controlled easily by Windows security settings.

wescliff 22:18 19 Sep 15

Never seen this before, and my three Win 10 systems don't have this folder. Do you have a backup program (either windows or third party) set to back up in increments on a regular basis. if so check its settings. Looks like something is backing up your system far too often.

chapelle 03:32 20 Sep 15

Hi and thanks for your comments. I assume from your post that you "do" have a System Volume Information folder on your C: drive but NOT a System Recovery folder. The normal Windows 10 backups are stored in the System Volume Information folder. My "System Recovery" folder, a hidden file, has a creation date of 4/25/2014 so was there under my Windows 8.1 system. The daily backup files appear to have started on 8/07/2015, so shortly after I upgraded to Windows 10. The only 3rd party backup application I am using is Acronis True Image and it only activates weekly to create C: drive total system images (stored on a separate external drive), so I doubt that Acronis is the cause of my issue.

chapelle 00:43 21 Sep 15

I would appreciate hearing from other Windows 10 users. Do you have a separate "System Recovery" folder on your C: drive (i.e., separate from the System Volume Information C: drive folder)? Both folders are system files and are hidden so your file explorer option has to be set to viewing hidden files. Thanks...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 21 Sep 15

Do not have a system recovery folder but do have a Recovery folder (empty)

have you upgrade to 10 less than a month ago? it may well disappear with the windows.old folder when the 30days of restoring to your old system expires.

chapelle 21:03 10 Oct 15

A number of Windows 10 users have told me that they do not have a separate System Recovery folder. Given this and since the folder has now reached 43GB in size, I decided to try to erase the folder. I used the TreeSize free app to display all of the the C: drive user and systems hidden folders. It runs in administrative mode and allows unlimited access to the sub folders within the System Recovery folder (which itself remains a System controlled only folder). I deleted the Recovery sub folder which had all of the 43GB of recovery files. The deletion worked fine and I shall now see over the next several days whether there are any adverse Windows 10 consequences.

CeeBass 09:49 23 Jan 16

I have the same issue but can't delete this irritating folder or it's contents even using treesize because it says i need permission from SYSTEM to delete the files.

CeeBass 09:56 23 Jan 16

Also, the only way I could see this folder was using treesize. Even selecting 'show hidden files and folders' doesn't make it show up in explorer. This folder is taking up 16% of my C drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:42 23 Jan 16

Right click start menu - select Command prompt (Admin)

in the window type

del C:\Recovery

press enter

what happens?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced