windows 10 media player problems

stevethetester 17:16 30 Jul 15

Hi, Installed windows 10 yesterday and have hit a major problem. I have a very large library of mp 4 videos on my PC and all played fine on windows 8.1 and streamed to my smart TV and blue ray player. However it looks as though the windows 10 media player doesn't support mp 4 files. Although I can play these back with the vlc player i can't use it to stream to my t etc. Does anyone have any ideas on how to work around this using media player ? I understand that you can download codec packs but would appreciate any help in this. Thanks, Steve

Govan1x 18:02 30 Jul 15

I understood that W10 does not have Windows media Player. I take it that it does then.

Govan1x 18:25 30 Jul 15

Looks like I am getting mixed up with Windows Media Center. Sorry.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 30 Jul 15

Sounds like you need to download a codec pack for WMP so you can play the mp4 files

Forum Editor 18:43 30 Jul 15

Transferred to the Windows Help forum from Tech Helproom.

kasunbhashana 15:54 08 Sep 15

Windows 10 pro 64bit 0s every media players are not working Properly How to Fix it.....................

ShezenAhmed 15:57 13 Sep 15

Really easy to fix it. Follow the steps and hope fully that will work out for you. Go to Control panel > In the search box above type troubleshooting > click on trouble shooting > click view all > select windows media player settings > click next and when the fix is applied then close the troubleshooting.. Thats it.. It worked for me hopefully it will work for you too.

stevethetester 17:41 13 Sep 15

Hi Thanks to everyone.Have further info on this: windows 10 media player doesn't include the mp4 codec(s) but have since installed the free VLC Media Player which enables me to play my mp4 files on my pc faultlessly. However, and more importantly, even though media player won't play back on the pc it does allow the media streaming without issues thus allowing me to play these files on my blue ray player and smart tv without problems. Hope this helps others in a similar situation.

OwenTaylor 11:23 27 Oct 15

VLC Media player is the best alternative.

SaraJoshion 08:49 30 Oct 15

Win 10 really have some excellent changes. Its interface is more friendly than win 8, and I used to try to upgrade my OS to win 10. But after I upgraded to win 10. I cannot use windows media player freely ever. And I have to download an alternative Macgo Bluray Player for replacing it.

I suddenly can only sync only ALL the media device (in this case CD's) to my MP3 player. I have always been able to move what I wanted to the sync list and it would just sync that. What happened???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…