Windows 10 Likes & Dislikes?

Gordon Freeman 21:45 29 Jul 15

I know it's only very early days with this, as it was only released today, & I'm sure tweaks/updates will appear on a regular basis, but for those of us who chose to go straight into it today, what are your initial thoughts/likes/dislikes?

I just started using it tonight, and started using the Edge browser:

Disappointed there's no option (that I can find anyway) to auto delete all browsing history on exit, like you could with IE11.

I don't like the splash screen when you open Edge, and haven't discovered if it can be disabled and get straight into my home page.

I can't find Windows Update any more.

I like the clean look of both Win 10 itself, and also of Edge browser, but wouldn't say either are faster, or better, than my previous Win 8.1 or IE11.

DaveThompson 22:09 29 Jul 15

Don't like being told by win 10 support that I must subscribe to a premium service to restore hardware functions of my laptop that were lost after the upgrade.

tullie 22:16 29 Jul 15

Gordon Settings/Update and security

rdave13 22:17 29 Jul 15

Control panel will be faded out eventually.

Find settings,loads of ways to, then set your settings. As for Edge use the slightly awry hamburger icon and do your worst:)

Secret-Squirrel 09:24 30 Jul 15

.........there's no option (that I can find anyway) to auto delete all browsing history on exit, like you could with IE11.

Windows 10 still has Internet Explorer 11 so use that if you don't get on with Edge.

I can't find Windows Update any more.

Tullie's told you where to find the options but you won't have as much control over them because Windows 10 will automatically download and install all updates, even driver updates, whether you want them or not.

HondaMan 09:47 30 Jul 15

Sounds like I am better with Win 7!

chub_tor 09:54 30 Jul 15

I have found it useful to block the ads on the PCA site when using the Edge browser. You can use this link Here

hssutton 11:38 30 Jul 15

The fact that W10 downloads drivers that are not compatible. I've had a few driver related problems. The main one being Nvidia drivers (due to the outcry from users using Nvidia this has now probably been resolved, hopefully. Nvidia drivers Other problems included loss of of onboard sound (Realtec) DVD writers and card readers not working. Resolved by reloading all the motherboard drivers. Not sure what will happen on the next update as it appears we have no option re updates.

Gordon Freeman 11:48 30 Jul 15

Thanks tullie/rdave13/SS - now found 'updates'.

I've not experienced any driver related probs yet (printer/scanner for example) which I suppose is a good thing.

Not going to put it onto my main desktop machine until I've had a chance to have a good go on the laptop.

SS: I do quite like Edge, but like I pointed out, I'd like to have seen 'clear history on exit' as per IE11 (maybe this'll come via incremental updates), but yes, I take yr point that you can flip to IE11 if you wish.

Am I blown away by it? No, not really but as it becomes more familiar I'm sure I'll find new things which are improvements & better ways of working.

chub_tor 11:49 30 Jul 15

You do have some options regarding updates, perhaps not all the control you would like, but you can delay them. Go to Settings, Update and Security, Windows Update, Advanced Options and click on Defer Upgrades and also Choose how updates are delivered. That just might delay them until all the bug fixes are in.

Secret-Squirrel 12:13 30 Jul 15

.... but you can delay them. Go to Settings, Update and Security, Windows Update, Advanced Options and click on Defer Upgrades and also Choose how updates are delivered. That just might delay them until all the bug fixes are in.

That's a good idea for folks who prefer to wait a while but it's sadly not available with the Home version that most users are running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…