Windows 10 has messed up my PC, Help!!!!!!

RISC OS user 14:22 19 Dec 15
Answered

I upgraded to Windows 10, "which took for ever". Once the Windows 10 had installed completely and I was able to use the PC I close the PC for the night and re booted my PC the following morning and found that it again took a long time to boot to the "Enter PIN" screen, and then took even longer to complete the boot sequence at the point where I could start using the PC to look at my emails via Thunderbird etc. I was so fed up of waiting that I decided to revert to Windows 8.1 which boots in about 1 minute. Now back with Windows 8.1 all appears OK except I have lost my "Account Picture" and am not able to enter the PIN at boot up nor am I able to reinstate the picture or set up the PIN again as I get error messages each time, the only way in is via the Password, which is inconvenient. The error messages are as follows:- "An error occurred trying to capture your PIN try again". "Account Picture error, setting the account picture failed, try again" I have tried with the original PIN and a new PIN I have also checked that the PINs match. What can I do? I could re install from my Disc Image back-up, but this is about 2 months old and many things have changed since it was saved. Help please!

rdave13 14:25 19 Dec 15

Have you tried running sfc /scannow in CMD as admin?

robin_x 14:26 19 Dec 15

What method did you use for Image Backup?

RISC OS user 14:52 19 Dec 15

I seem to remember that system image back up was via "File History" in the control panel, I have used it a number of times before.

No I have not used sfc /scannow but will have a look at it.

RISC OS user 16:03 19 Dec 15

I have just finished running sfc /scannow and it found some corrupt files and corrected them, so let's hope that may put it right!

RISC OS user 16:10 19 Dec 15

No, that did not solve the problem!

Forum Editor 16:15 19 Dec 15

The first thing to say is that we have a dedicated Windows Help forum, and I'm going to transfer your thread to it now.

Forum Editor 16:27 19 Dec 15

"I close the PC for the night and re booted my PC the following morning and found that it again took a long time to boot to the "Enter PIN" screen, and then took even longer to complete the boot sequence at the point where I could start using the PC to look at my emails via Thunderbird etc. I was so fed up of waiting that I decided to revert to Windows 8.1 which boots in about 1 minute."

Any new operating system installation takes a while to fully boot the first time it's restarted after installation. The reason is almost always that it is updating and writing new registry entries. Once all that has completed you will find that Windows 10 starts very quickly.

That's of academic interest as far as you're concerned because you decided to revert to Windows 8.1.

You might want to check this before going any further:-

Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard. That should open a Run box. Now type regedit and press Enter.

In the left pane of the Registry Editor, look for the following key:

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

On the right hand side, look for an entry that says: dontdisplaylastusername if it's there, change the value to 0.

Then reboot your computer.

If the registry entry is not there, we'll think of something else.

As always, I have to say that you edit the registry at your own risk. We can't accept any liability for the consequences of following any advice that is provided in our forums.

RISC OS user 16:43 19 Dec 15

Thank you for your reply, I have found the Register entry and it is already set at 0

Forum Editor 18:27 19 Dec 15

OK, now try this:-

Go to RUN (press the WindowsKey + R)

Type:- services.msc

Scroll down to Credential Manager Service

Right click and go to properties and change the StartUp type to: Automatic

Start the service

Let's see if that works.

RISC OS user 22:07 19 Dec 15

Thank you, I regret to tell you that I had already tried that fix and it did not work, but I did look at it again just to make sure that the Automatic setting had not changed back to manual as it was prior to the time I first looked at it. I then restarted it and then tried to enter the PIN and the Picture, but each one gave the same errors as mentioned in my original post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…