WIN8 - personal files to Drive E

tamsin 12:20 PM 04 Jan 13

I have just purchased a Sony laptop running WIN8. Can anyone tell me the most reliable way to direct my personal settings from C: to E:. I wish to maintain programs only on Drive C.
Please also if you can tell me in words of one syllable how to accomplish this - I understand quite a bit but WIN8 seems to be somewhat different.

Thank you

alanrwood 13:28 PM 04 Jan 13

No experience with WIN 8. In Win 7 you needed to repartition your hard drive into two drives (or more). Select which drive is to be your Data drive and create a foldser "My Documents". In Win Explorer go to the original My Docs Folder and right click on it. Select Properties and then the Location Tab. Change the destination to the new My Docs folder and allow the files to be moved. Hope it works in Win 8 as well, can't see any reason why not but stranger things have happened.

tamsin 22:00 PM 04 Jan 13

Thanks for response. I will try this and see if it works. I think there is a conflict with the new Libraries set up in WIN8 - read somewhere that the system will not read the new destination. Your workround certainly works in WIN7 as I have used it for a long time with no problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know