Win7 & VHD Support

Bob The Nob© 21:29 PM 08 Jul 09

Right guys, I wanna dual boot (Win7 & Fedora11) on my laptop but I wanna use my second OS in a VHD.

How would I go about this? I have created the VHD but I need to figure out how to install everything.

GaT7 18:54 PM 10 Jul 09

Why don't you use something like VirtualBox click here?

Some instructions can be found at click here, & the PDF manual at click here. All the best with it, G

Bob The Nob© 18:56 PM 10 Jul 09

didn't wanna run an OS ontop of windows.

I have decided to just re-partition everything.

GaT7 19:26 PM 10 Jul 09

I believe you can create a VirtualBox (basically a VHD) in a different partition, by virtualising the partition instead of creating a VHD.

If you create a standard dual-boot, then no VHD/VirtualBox type software is required. I would install Win7 first, then the Linux distro as the latter usually has better inbuilt options/menus for dual-booting with other OSes. G

DataCabbitKSW 19:41 PM 13 Jul 09

There are a veritable ton of guides on how to make a bootable VHD and set it up to boot on your system. Here are a small selection:
click here
click here
click here
They largely talk about the beta, but the same thing applies to the Release Candidate, Pre-RTM and likely also the final versions of Windows 7. If you are a MSDN/TechNet subscriber, the later test Pre-RTM builds have been coming out as .WIM images, so making them into VHDs is very easy. You can also find more information looking around the official Windows 7 RC Support Forum located here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11