Win7 & VHD Support

Bob The Nob© 08 Jul 09

Right guys, I wanna dual boot (Win7 & Fedora11) on my laptop but I wanna use my second OS in a VHD.

How would I go about this? I have created the VHD but I need to figure out how to install everything.

GaT7 10 Jul 09

Why don't you use something like VirtualBox click here?

Some instructions can be found at click here, & the PDF manual at click here. All the best with it, G

Bob The Nob© 10 Jul 09

didn't wanna run an OS ontop of windows.

I have decided to just re-partition everything.

GaT7 10 Jul 09

I believe you can create a VirtualBox (basically a VHD) in a different partition, by virtualising the partition instead of creating a VHD.

If you create a standard dual-boot, then no VHD/VirtualBox type software is required. I would install Win7 first, then the Linux distro as the latter usually has better inbuilt options/menus for dual-booting with other OSes. G

DataCabbitKSW 13 Jul 09

There are a veritable ton of guides on how to make a bootable VHD and set it up to boot on your system. Here are a small selection:
click here
click here
click here
They largely talk about the beta, but the same thing applies to the Release Candidate, Pre-RTM and likely also the final versions of Windows 7. If you are a MSDN/TechNet subscriber, the later test Pre-RTM builds have been coming out as .WIM images, so making them into VHDs is very easy. You can also find more information looking around the official Windows 7 RC Support Forum located here click here

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Wimbledon 2015 live online: follow the tennis from your laptop or PC

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

HTC's head designer on what's exciting in designing for mobile right now

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message